Author Topic: Buying Neo's... Which Ones?  (Read 807 times)

laquokka

Buying Neo's... Which Ones?
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:53:37 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what will be the best magnets to buy for my project. I took apart a bunch of appliances (printer, fan, vacuum, alligator knife, hard drives, scanner, VCR, etc.) So I have a bunch of motors, and I want to try my hand at rewiring some to make a little power.

I recently won a gift certificate to Amazon.com, and have 10 bucks left over that I want to use on magnets. I made a spreadsheet to compare them, but I still am unsure of what I need. In researching here, it seems like surface area is more important than anything else. But then, I was thinking about stacking, and from what I've read it's bassically just as effective. The discs offer the most surface area, but would be difficult to work with I think. The big cubes have lots of pulling force, but I only get 5. The rectangles would offer the most pulling force, but they are a little on the small side...but you get 100 (stacking?)

Here's my table if it helps anyone.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:53:37 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Buying Neo's... Which Ones?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:37:16 AM »
I have used a lot of tiny magnets, with mixed results.

The 3/8 and 1/2" disks are the only ones on the list I would bother trying.

The 1/4 and 5mm have no hope, because they are tiny for one thing, and very hard to work with for the other thing.

G-
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:37:16 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

stephent

Re: Buying Neo's... Which Ones?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »
Usually the 3/8ths" or 1/2" disks work fairly well with motor conversions. (as well as "usually" being the sweet spot for N40/42 disk neos in price)

You can stack them for more depth easily.

Check your formula in the cubic inch columns--something seems amiss there.

As well as the total surface area column formula--only one side (N or S) is actually doing the deed in most configurations we/us/you normally use, but since a mono-pole mag doesn't exist yet in any effective quantities we just use the other side to help stick the mag on some steel or another mag if stacking them until the sticky stuff sets good.

Stacking 2 or more mags on top of each other just has the same (one side--effective area) surface area as one mag has "exposed" for "fluxin" the wire coil(s).

Most of the time you can forget replacing any of your mentioned already "PM" type motors with neo mags--they will cogg after and won't make many more watts even if rewound. Rewinding those really small motors isn't easy and usually produces a result of mixed feelings--i.e.--success/it sucks for final results. Find a bigger motor with real ball bearings and maybe at least a 1/2" shaft to mount the hub/prop on, and bolts to hold the frame/motor together instead of welds/pressed.

It isn't hardly any more work (probably less) to convert a 1/4hp or larger (don't go nutz on the first one as to size) single or 3 phase motor with neos and no rewind of feild coils, then jack around with a window fan, or even worse, a  vacuum motor that requires 11 gazzillion rpm to make 8 volts and is very dissappointing in the end.

Servo PM motors are a distinctive seperate subject apart.

Hint--read/search lots of "zubbly" on this forum, he's da man on converts, as are several others (dinges, etc) that have been there and done it right..(are reasonably happy with results that is.)

/me Inserts disclaimer here---

All of the above is personal opinion mixed with some experience--this and $.50 should still buy a cup of coffee somewhere, maybe, possibly.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:58:19 AM by stephent »