Author Topic: any expert ideas on power from the experts ?  (Read 1051 times)

smartmonkey777

any expert ideas on power from the experts ?
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:07:50 PM »
ok so heres my situation i would like to create a eco freindly way to generate power for a 2kw constant load 24/7

i have looked around at so many options my head is starting to spin.

here was my thoughts here.. ill may this quick so im not off topic but it will help if i need a stupid check( lol ). i have a deisel 10 kw generator 35 monster deepcycle battries there about 18 in x 12in x 8 in and all the inversion /distribution gear.. wich came with the property 40AC ... so obviously storage is no problem..

i will probably never use the generator as gas would drive me to the poorhouse ..

my petrol powered toyota pickup already is bad enough on my pocketbook.

im trying as hard as i can to move away from petrol..

i am electricity savy  so im just going to say my load to K>I>S>S..lol i understand the loss factors and to get 2 kw constat i would need at least 4 kw generated to catch up if the wind died down .. i am lucky in the fact i live in a good location there usually a breeze to decent to high wind in my area from all directions at diffrent times of the day i definitly can pull off the grid but i want to keep this to the absolute minimum.

i first thought of solar array but the panels required would cost 22k usd as for 2 kw youd need at leat 2x your draw to charge your batts for night.

second i thought of hydro power as over the run of the property i have a 150 - 200 foot head and a area at the top to put a rather nice sized holding pond ( i havent calculated the pressure/ flow neccary but i do know those little generators are pretty efficent but id hae to dig out a pond tht would be pretty big on the order of sevveral million gallions to have enough water to last when its frozen solid or no rain.

and finally i came to wind .. i first though that i could use a 200 amp alternator but i qiuckly found out by math that this would be tough nuggets to pull off .. i figured at full load 100 rpm id need 2.7 horsepower to turn it at full load and they operate at 6500 rpm .. i cryed ... i seemed easy for a second .. HAHAHAHA

my projects never are .. even if i geared it down it would take a 90;1 ratio wich would use near 200 horse power to turn it at a reasonable wind speed .. that would be one giant prop !!!!!  or rewind the coils it would take 1000rpm to get a useful amount of power from it that being 27 horse power to turn it .. this may work but its a heck  of a gamble .. i was trying to stay away from building my own stators to save time and money.. but if i have to to make this happen i will if i can get away with like a 200-500 dollar budget ( i could buy a pre built kit for 10 k but id rather have solar at that point due to it working ?

.. i have a huge old growth bull pine i was intending to strap a lattice to to that would give it a height of close to 150 foot.. ( and by this i mean above every  thing else around lol )

so i guess now that i have said all this would i be able to even make a turbine that big if so how big would it need to be ( ie blade length )

? is this even worth it ? should i just buy 22k of solar and call it a day ? sould i make several smaller ones ?

it looks like they all have there ups and downs and are quite pricey 10- 20 k ( no thanks to bush and his oil no doubt)

i need some brain storming action please.

thank you in advance for your time and info !!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:07:50 PM by (unknown) »

luv2weld

Re: any expert ideas on power from the experts ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:03:48 AM »
Hi smartmonkey,

One thing to consider is the old "all your eggs in one basket".

If all your power is generated by one device, any problem with it and you're

"down for the count" till you can get it fixed. With several smaller systems

tied together, you could at least limp along till you can get something fixed.

And I just can't quite get the picture in my head focused on how in the heck

you're gonna get a 20 foot generator on top of that "bull pine"!!

Just don't see that tilting over with a gin pole and a winch!! lol

Ralph

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:03:48 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:29:27 AM »
I'm still trying to get around that 2kW/hr - '24/7' - that is where I would start. If one thinks they can beat the power company at producing electricity ... they need a bit of help and maybe divine intervention.

The first step should be to conserve as much as possible. 1500kWh a month is quite a bit except in the Southern areas where air-conditioning is a way of life.

If one desires to produce their own energy an audit of what is available is necessary. It will do no good to build a mill capable of 4kW if there isn't wind to power it. There are plans on Otherpower that will fit what you care to do IF you have the wind resource.

Good systems seem to be a mix of all available resources.

Ron

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:29:27 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

thefinis

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:34:50 AM »
Start small and build up. If I had a stream with that much drop I would try and use it first. Small catchment basin at the top with as much head as possible with the shortest pipe run to the turbine. Use it as long as the weather permits shut it down when the creek freezes. You have not stated how much flow you think you have or how much wind or even how much sun. I think some of your math is off too. Running rpms through a speed increaser only increases hp needs by the losses from the gearbox. It does change the torque needs especially for starting and affects startup wind speed. Too great of gearing and it takes a strong gust to get it spinning.

Trying to use an standard auto alt on wind is not something that works. Too many better choices. As far as the wind turbine tower I think you will find that using trees for towers is not done. For one thing a tree bends and sways in the wind so tying a tower to it the tower needs to bend and sway too. Do some wind measurements, check how long the wire runs would be, and then see where the best spot for a wind turbine is and if there is enough wind to make it worthwhile.

Good luck and I am no expert

Finis

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:34:50 AM by thefinis »

Lumberjack

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Hydro is likely your best choice to exploit first. Usually it is the cheapest and most reliable source of power.

Which ever you choose plan for a back up source of power as well such as solar or perhaps a little of all three.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:21:00 AM by Lumberjack »