Author Topic: What can I do with this?  (Read 1095 times)

Aeolus

What can I do with this?
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:37:50 PM »
I've had an interest in building a wind generator for a while now. Actually have a strong desire to be self sufficient, and stick it to "THE MAN". lol, I have collected much information and would like to make a serious effort to make this happen. I am in the process of buying some property so it's not to feasible to do it yet. but...maybe I could do a small version to appease my desire to harness the wind. I took this from an electric scooter with bad batteries ($80.00) for new ones!).

Out of curiosity I hooked it up to a multi-meter spun the motor and it spiked up to 20v quickly. Can I use this for a generator? Do I have to do anything to it?

What would you do? I wonder if the trailer park guy would notice a 4' wind generator on a 40' pole! haha...

Thanks for your time, Mike

www.huejazz.com

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:37:50 PM by (unknown) »

stephent

Re: What can I do with this?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »
Well, it needs that 4' prop you spoke of for sure..a blocking diode, lead in wires and some kind of battery charge controlling thing that's either custom made--store bought--or manual charge control (your brain and hands at the correct time) and a safety fuse(s) real close to the battery terminal(s).

As to the trailer park feller noticing it..paint the blades up real artsy and tell him it's yard art, or a fancy wind direction thingie?

Plant some quick growing vine around it and say it's an arbor/trellis for that?

Use the notion that begging forgiveness is easier then getting permission?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:15:51 PM by stephent »

coldspot

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:07:40 AM »
Well, it will need a pretty fast prop set up but should be a great starter for you.

A charge controller will be required, you could start with a small one or kit but a good large one would be required down the road. With C35's going on E-bay for $75-+, That might be a better plan in the long run.

Either way, you should get hooked and never look back just for more stuff to help make your power!!!!!!!!

LOL

Now as for the sprockets and belt from scrapped scotter, heck the speed controller and throttle even, these you package up and find out what it'll cost to get shipped to me 83402 zip and we all could be happy !!!;)

:)

LOL

Have fun!  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 02:07:40 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

dinges

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:06:48 AM »
I have a similar scooter motor (MY1018), 24 V, 250 W, but at 2750 RPM. So useless for generation (at any reasonable speed, < 600-700 RPM). Not sure what the specifications of your motor are (especially RPMs), but I doubt it will be much lower than 2750 RPM. Notice the tiny sprocket on the motor and the large gear on the the wheel....

Do a google on this board for 'scooter motor'. It has been talked of before. Not with much good result, if I remember correctly.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:06:48 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

Aeolus

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »
Hey Thanks for your comments.

These are very helpful. I really like the information on yard art. Thats hilarious!

I know it won't be very useful, but it will help to get some experience and knowledge to apply toward my main goal.

As far as the scoot parts. I cut the belt, left the wheel and gear on so one of the kids could still get some use out of it. I do have the speed control if thats of any use to you let me know.

I was looking at cutting some blades from a piece of pvc pipe. I haven't come across a good way to connect them to the motor though. If I had access to machine tools it would be easier.

Nowin eyes gotst som book lernin to doo, google up some scooter modors!

Ya'll have a good one!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:38:40 AM by Aeolus »

coldspot

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »
A few things you could do/try-

Leave the little sprocket/pully on the motor make your PVC blades but get a front fork n wheel off kids starter bike type size, (12"-16"), even the steering tube n bearing could be used for yaw!

mount wheel with only one fork or outside and mount blades to the other side of  wheel not using the axle but the rim or spokes,

Then have the scooter motor rubbing against the rubber wheel outside. Getting a geared up set-up this way to get high RPM's.

I did drill down into one little sprocket like that once, also just dilled one in center of "zub-woofer" a bit smaller than sprocket then carved the rest to press fit then used the little holes I'd made to hold larger washer on as front hub plate.

"I haven't come across a good way to connect them to the motor though."

A major problem I've had since starting this hobby, (New 6.8' F/G blades two days back and still thinking it over)!

Motor arbors are pretty cool, I'd like more motor shaft sizes for set-screw side, while trying to stay the same on threaded side for using same hub/prop on different mills!

yesterday, A thought about this and a drill chuck turned around could be used as motor arbor and give many different mill shafts an easy mount up!

Now, just to find free used with key 1/8"-1" jacobs chuck,,,..????????

LOL

:)

I'd love any scooter parts,(controller, but with throttle would be better)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:57:00 AM by coldspot »
$0.02