Author Topic: Do I have a good treadmill motor?  (Read 805 times)

jxc582

Do I have a good treadmill motor?
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:23:12 AM »
I got a free treadmill and I pulled the motor out of it.

It has these ratings:

1. HP
  2. V
  3. HZ
  4. 8 amps
  5. RPM

PH 1

I don't get it. Is this an Ac motor? Why else would it say 60 hz? Is it any good to me then? It looks like it is three phase though. It has three lead wires that come out of it and differently sized windings. Were are the negatives leads to the coils at? I'm just so confused.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:23:12 AM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: Do I have a good treadmill motor?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
jxc582,

There is an easy way to find out. Attach any 2 of the wires to a low voltage light bulb, like a 12VDC tailight bulb. Then spin the motor with your fingers. If the bulb lights even dimly it is generating power. If not it is a pure AC motor. This may be either DC or AC and still make power. This motor may be a type of electronic commutated motor, like the GE ECM motor. To find out if it is either DC or AC (if making power in test 1) use a LED. Again place the LED between any 2 leads from the motor. Slowly turn the motor by hand and watch the LED carefully. If the LED lights a little then goes out and lights and goes out then you have AC, if it glows steady, or doesn't blink, you have dc output.

All that being said try to see if a screwdriver or other steel object tries to "stick" to the body of the motor. If it does you have magnets inside. Also see if there is a acess port to service the brushes all PM DC motors have.

Sometimes the motor drive electronics can provide more info. If the motor is DC then the drive part will have a rectifier or some way to spply DC from the AC main supply. If this is a ECM type motor there will be at least one mosFET driving each of the lines leading to the motor. This ECM type of motor will usually have a much more complicated drive circuit than the DC drive types.

Finally search the net for the maker of the treadmill, or the motor, by brand name.

Hope all this helps, and good luck.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:04:00 AM by RogerAS »

stephent

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:30:28 PM »
Could very well be an AC motor. Some of the early designs used ac motors with triac or scr speed controls. And it is probably a cap start for starting under load....3 wires.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:30:28 PM by stephent »

jxc582

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:21:17 AM »
Dam, if I hook a light bulb or an lead to two of the leads I get nothing. The inside looks like a laminated steel core similar to the magnets. I stuck my steel screwdriver in there and it didn't stick to anything. It only has one speed. The treadmill was controlled by belt tension. Oh well, I guess I have a second AC motor for when I have a my own workshop.

This motor is useless as a generator right? The two metal halves of the housing are like JB welded so it not a good candidate for a conversion either.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:21:17 AM by jxc582 »

RogerAS

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »
Dude,

Call aroud to your local HIVAC shops and ask if they have or know of any General Electric "ECM" motors that are being taken out of service.

One of our more knowledgeable conributors here, JerryTKS, has shown how to split the phasing to get way more out of one than running it with the stock wiring configuration. Do a search for his detailed instructions. They work!

I have one of these up and running and has been taken down twice in two yeras. It doen's power the Titanic but it's a cheapo that works. I've had both of mine given to me, and I'm always looking for another! #2 is waiting for blades I can't seem to find time to start, or afford to buy. :-(

I'm savin' up for more PV's, and some tradin' for a "real" machine before fall.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:07:51 AM by RogerAS »