Author Topic: Remote cabin wind system?  (Read 955 times)

medtech

Remote cabin wind system?
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:09:40 AM »
I own a cabin in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  I go to the cabin once a month or so for a weekend.  Currently we run everything off propane (water heater, refrigerator, stove, lights, some heat to supplement wood stoves).  

When we bought the property there was a non working windmill.  The cabin is on the top of a mountain and has almost constant breezes/wind.  The tower is still intact but nothing else remains from the old system.  

What would be the best solution for me?  I'd like to be able to run a small fridge in the summer and a small heater to keep water shutoffs from freezing in the winter.  Other than this we'd run lights when up for the weekend.  Maybe a tv/satellite or power tool every once in a while.  We're not looking to run a water heater or stove, those can stay propane.  Obviously the cheaper the better but reliability and durability are important.

If this has been answered before, sorry for not finding it.  Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:09:40 AM by (unknown) »

snowcrow

Re: Remote cabin wind system?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:28:41 AM »
Hi medtech, I have a cabin at 2000 ft. in the northeast kingdom of Vermont. I've found the LP refrigerator to be much more reliability than electric ones, and the power from my windmill is best used for charging batteries and heating water for radiant floor heating.

For the power tools you are better off using a LP/Gasoline generator that can provide lots of starting amps.

If you plan on putting in a >2.5kw inverter and a large battery bank, than you can run your power tools with no problem. A 500 watt to 1000 watt windmill should do well for your needs.

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:28:41 AM by snowcrow »

ADMIN

Re: Remote cabin wind system?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
I'd get a small system, with one nice solar panel and a small battery bank. You can add a small wind turbine on your old tower too. But anything powered by RE that has to heat or cool things won't do much for you--keep those things propane, it's far more cost effective. You'll easily power a small number of lights, water pressure, boom box tunes, a small LCD TV, laptop computer and such from your solar panel and small wind turbine. But those pipe heaters and electric fridge would require a pretty large PV/wind system just for them! Nothing else left for you the enjoy. ADMIN
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:21:39 AM by ADMIN »