Author Topic: Is this motor useful for anything?  (Read 820 times)

DonaldG

Is this motor useful for anything?
« on: September 15, 2007, 02:44:01 PM »
Hi. I bought this on ebay a while back because it was interesting and I thought it might be used to make some power.  I contacted the company that made it but they never got back to me so I don't have any more info on it.

I was told, and it says on the cabinet its in that it's an electromagnet dc generator, though it's an ac motor. What do you think?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:44:01 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: Is this motor useful for anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:35:25 PM »
that is an ac induction motor you would have to disasemble it turn down the rotor and add magnets in order to convert it to a wind turbine genny.  see zubblys 3 diarys on how to do this. here is the bast place to find all 3 of them in one place as they kinda got lost on this board. http://reresource.org/User%20Pages/Zubbly/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 04:35:25 PM by kurt »

DonaldG

Re: Is this motor useful for anything?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:36:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kurt, I'm afraid that's going to be beyond my technical knowhow at the time being.  I'll keep studying. Would like to use it eventually, thing's huge, like 30 inches long and a foot in diameter.

I did manage to find a dc shunt wound motor in a local Amish fellows shop yesterday though I can use to help me up the learning curve a bit. 90v, 1725rpm...gotta be good for something.

Thanks though.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 06:36:31 AM by DonaldG »