Author Topic: rotor question  (Read 916 times)

paNewbie

rotor question
« on: October 07, 2007, 01:47:17 AM »
I dont have an acetylene torch or access to 1/4" plate. so quite simply:

Would four 1/16" thick pieces of paintless sheet metal, welded and/or bolted together be comparable to a 1/4" thick piece of steel?  

Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 01:47:17 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: rotor question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work - but if I were going to that trouble I'd consider using brake rotors perhaps.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:33:49 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:40:56 AM »
It will be better than nothing. with decent flat sheets, laser or water jet cut the result may be perfectly ok, but if you have access to these methods then there is no point in using the thin sheets.

If you chew them out with shears or similar methods they will be far from flat, will have air gaps between them that add to your effective air gap.They will probably not run true and however you make them the end result will not be completely rigid and you may have trouble with flexing if you use strong magnets.

If it is for a small machine with reasonably small magnets then it may well be perfectly ok. I wouldn't risk this if I was spending real money on decent magnets.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 01:40:56 AM by Flux »

CmeBREW

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »
I have also thought about doing that too with smaller magnets and 3/4" treated plywood. Holes thru the plywood and layers of sheet metal on the back side screwed into the plywood. It could make a cheap and light little alternator.

I don't recall anyone actually doing it. I may have missed it if they did. If you HAVE to use layers of sheet metal, you may want to use plenty of rivets below and above the magnets to get the steel sheets as tight as possible. You may miss out on some flux though. It would be an interesting experiment. If you do it, please let us know the outcome. I would like to know!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:50:06 PM by CmeBREW »