Author Topic: Informative posts section  (Read 6499 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Informative posts section
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:17:44 AM »
Flux,
That explanation reminds me of your long and popular explanation a few years ago, in a thread called "Matching the Load".
I found it.

Matching the load

(I had to look at all of Flux's posts and work my way back.  Couldn't find it by searching.)

I guess we need a repository of those type of useful postings. That is one that should be a "sticky" but I am unsure how to make it sticky where folks would find it. It is currently a Diary so being sticky there might not be good for folks to find it. I do not like messing with moving anyones Diary entries so for now I will stick it in my list of useful explanations until we sort out a way to include these or links to them in a "must read" section. Still sorting out how to wrangle this herd of information we have amassed.

VF;

Sorry to drift your topic.

Tom

opo

• homepage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »

Tom,

Maybe a closed section of posts "you should read" is needed.

Cheers,

opo
http://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=opo Check my apps aFoil and aFoilSim on android market.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
One way to do that is have a locked 'you must read' library thread which mods/admins edit resources into by hand...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Informative posts section
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
Folks;

I split this off the original thread as it went off the original topic. First try doing that so hope it worked.

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
Actually, there isn't an obvious FAQ section any more, which is really what you're trying to achieve.

Considering the nature of the hobby (layers, like an onion), a FAQ page that is short and sweet for any given question could have links to much more in-depth answers, and as long as you, Tom, or other moderators like Glen or Woof are willing to keep track, the links to the FAQ questions can be up to date.

More workload for ya!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Actually, there isn't an obvious FAQ section any more, which is really what you're trying to achieve.

Considering the nature of the hobby (layers, like an onion), a FAQ page that is short and sweet for any given question could have links to much more in-depth answers, and as long as you, Tom, or other moderators like Glen or Woof are willing to keep track, the links to the FAQ questions can be up to date.

More workload for ya!

Speaking for moderators, without their consent, I will say
'Gosh.  Thanks.  But we need somebody for the 'tower' section FAQs'.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »

Speaking for moderators, without their consent, I will say

Ok, I guess the "Volunteer" stage of this recruitment is over. Time for the conscription phase...

Draft notices will be sent in the next few days / decades / Centuries when we get around to figuring out who is a 4F and who can serve..  ;D

Sparweb I was hoping you would enlist on the tower / engineering side maybe write up some useful info nobody will read. Sorry. Everyone will read.

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »

Aw shoot.  I walked into that one.

Actually...  my FAQ is already "done", so to speak.  I wrote a little paper on how the axial flux genny works a few years ago.  Last year I put together some of my thoughts on what a WT tower must do and what it takes to build one, and put it on my personal web page.  A few months ago, I wrote a hand-out sheet for a RE advocacy group, which they didn't use.  Rather than leave the effort as wasted, I'd be happy to make it available to you, too.

Not sure if I should leave it as PDF format - seems there are websites that copy them, strip my name off, and use it to pad their "content".
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »

Not sure if I should leave it as PDF format - seems there are websites that copy them, strip my name off, and use it to pad their "content".

Sparweb;

Must be some way to indelibly watermark these things.

I am no expert but what I would do, personally, is make them images of the text with a watermark over all. Make the bustards work to steal it at least not just download and revise.

Seems there is a way to encrypt a PDF so it cannot be edited itself and disable "saving" it as a text file. But that may not actually be true.

This is a major problem with your kind of work.

Maybe someone here has an idea on how to indelibly mark documents to show true its' origin?

I would love to see this information here for folks to reference and fully understand your concern.

Tom

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
My wife IS an expert about that stuff.  And has the top end software.
She has some quick ideas.  Watermarks, password protection, security settings.  (who knew!)

SparWeb- She is going to have a quick look at the "how it works".  But she has meetings today.
I'll email findings.
And at least one place took down 'their version' in the last day or 2.

Moderators get A key to the executive washroom.
We have to share it.  I think Damon has it now, in England.   :P
G-
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:47:27 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »

Aw shoot.  I walked into that one.

I hear there's Fed comp pay too, for us carrying those cool little cards that get us free drugs ...uhmm I mean medical supplies from the VA

Come on aboard it's not that bad... I survived ;D
 PDF stuff, our company has a whole staff that does this type of thing and I know the Director very well, I'll ask him and let you know how or what to do in this case.

Might take me a day or two, I'm off to see a dentist about a broken tooth  :'(
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
We have to share it.  I think Damon has it now, in England.   Tongue

Uh, I put it back in the post so it would leave the country before one of our communist parties (eg the Tories) gets in and slams down the Iron Curtain.

But I may have sent it surface mail: you can hold on that long, yes?

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »
My wife IS an expert about that stuff.  And has the top end software.
She has some quick ideas.  Watermarks, password protection, security settings.  (who knew!)

SparWeb- She is going to have a quick look at the "how it works".  But she has meetings today.
I'll email findings.
And at least one place took down 'their version' in the last day or 2.

We have to share it.  I think Damon has it now, in England.   :P
G-
G-
My bad, didn't see the post and didn't get the normal update to post notice.
I'll defer to your wife's input.

Hope that Key shows up soon, I've been waiting since I left for the drill :P

Isaiah

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 12:12:35 AM »
 You may want to attach to all posts
 The information  posted here belongs to the forum and is not to be stolen or sold.

The owner or owners may want to look into signature copy right

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »
 The information  posted here belongs to the forum and is not to be stolen or sold.

???

Bruce S

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »

???

Bruce S

Language barrier at work here me thinks.

I was / am confused what this means myself

Tom

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:55:36 PM »

???
Bruce S

Language barrier at work here me thinks.

I was / am confused what this means myself

Tom
Tom;
 I figured it out (I think) Isaiah is referencing the watermark stuff from the very beginning of OP.
Cheers
Bruce S

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
This thread has come back to life has it?  In the meantime, a real FAQ section was established, and many topics are covered there, now.

The new FAQ section, highly recommended reading for young and old:   http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/board,27.0.html

I will also take this occasion to thank all the people who pitched in with well written contributions (and who added things I missed!)

As for issues of copyright, the stuff posted here is technically the property of Fieldlines, however they say themselves that they won't deliberately stake a claim on it (they just say thanks for sharing freely).  Trying to lock up and copy-protect things that I have personally written is kinda like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped...  but thanks Isaiah for the idea.  I understood you but I don't want to clutter up what I write with "legalese".

www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
All I can say is

"Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda".

Tom

Isaiah

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
 The signature copyright is a process of copyrighting ones name  and possessions etc.
 so therefore if the owner or owners copyrighted their name and possessions  all post then would come under copyright law, just like the movies you buy to watch at home on your dvd,
 but then if some one wants to use this information not in accordance with the owners guidelines there would be a fee for the use of that information!!
usually $ 500,000.00 silver or gold!
 If the members do the copy right they could do the same thing when the local guberment sends you the citation  you respond that that name is copy righted property and there is a fee for the use there of. once they make that payment youll be glad to oblige them.
how many local guberments will pay $500,000.00 to talk to you?
 remember you are not under constitutional law but under comerice contracts