Author Topic: A question of curiosity  (Read 1404 times)

GeeMac

A question of curiosity
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »
I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried to run more than one mill on a tower? One at the top and the other twenty feet under it?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 02:30:53 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: A question of curiosity
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »
Probably! nearly every conceivable thing has been tried over the last 100 years. I think that there have been ideas for many rotors arranged like a tree on one big tower.

The fact that it is not general practice makes me think that the snags outweigh the advantage.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:03:20 AM by Flux »

Devo

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:15:45 PM »
I was going to do this very thing but decided not to on my first tower, you would need good guy wires & extra anchor weight.

I was going to build a model tower going 1 centimeter every foot of the actual tower to find out how much room was between the guy wires & make a pipe similar to dans "clamping" pipe for extra mill tower that would swivel on top of one bolted tight.

Grease would be a major concern as after time a weak spot would form from the lower mill wearing the tower & it could break part way up.

A plastic or light metal bushing could cure this.

Maybe next year I'll give it a go, hopefully someone will do it first & I can copy..  :-)

Devo

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:15:45 PM by Devo »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:52:15 PM »
I recall seeing a pic of a tower that had a conventional DanB style prop at the top about 60ft up and then halfway up the tower was a VAWT. I believe the VAWT was trickle charging a separate 12 Volt system.

"I spent half my money on women and booze...the other half I wasted" -W.C. Fields

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:52:15 PM by spinningmagnets »

feral air

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »
That seems like it would be the easiest way to go if you're gonna do it. If your tower is strong enough you could even retrofit a vawt (in theory, anyway) for a little something extra.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:58:26 AM by feral air »

Woofer

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
How would the Genny turn into the wind if it was half way up a tower ?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:34:22 PM by Woofer »

Devo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
I would do mine just as the one on the top but the sleeve would be down the tower farther on a stop , it would just swivel around like the top one but this would wear the tower at a mid point with out a changeable bushing.

The lower mill would have to be small enough to go between the guys & the tower would have to be strong enough to take the extra strain

Devo

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:17:45 PM by Devo »

zeusmorg

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:32:39 AM »
The ideal design of a tower is to place your wind generator at the optimum height for airflow. Placing a second at a lower altitude would just limit the amount of useable windpower to that unit, so you would be better off having a second tower for two reasons, optimum airflow and structural strain. The only addition i could see would maybe be a low power savonus VAWT mounted lower.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:32:39 AM by zeusmorg »