Author Topic: ac to dc  (Read 1175 times)

GeeMac

ac to dc
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:23:17 PM »
I've been reading a bit, in the FAQs, about 35 amp 200 volt bridge rectifiers. They are offered for sale by forcefield.

Is the 35 amps the point at which power the bridge will burn out or is that the point that it 'cuts in'?

Even if I have a teeny bit of AC generated by my windmill will it convert it to DC?

I apologize for the easy questions, but I need to know, please?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:23:17 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: ac to dc
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
"Even if I have a teeny bit of AC generated by my windmill will it convert it to DC?"

You need about 1.4v peak to overcome diode drop so your teeny bit must exceed that to produce any dc. To charge a 12v battery the dc out will need to exceed the battery voltage.

The 35A is the maximum safe mean current when mounted on a typical heat sink and feeding a resistive load. In most cases it is beyond the practical maximum figure as there is a derating for temperatures above 25C base temperature and there is also a significant de rating associated with capacitive loads and that is what a battery looks like to a bridge rectifier. This is further complicated by the fact that most people use these bridges to form a 3 phase rectifier. If you use 3 bridges and common the ac leads on each then the 3 phase rating can just about be 35A if you have heat sinks big enough.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:40:49 PM by Flux »

GeeMac

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »
Thank you, Flux, for the reply. I will put it to good use. However, you mentioned three bridges.  There is a diagram in the FAQs here that shows a two bridge method. Which is the better way to go about creating DC current from AC?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:54:32 PM by GeeMac »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Hi GeeMac,

"Even if I have a teeny bit of AC generated by my windmill will it convert it to DC? "

Yes, by definition, the stator usually make's only AC current(amps)/voltage depending on circuit output]. The 'bridge-rectifier' converts all of the AC voltage(generated by the stator) to 'half-wave DC power(the sum of volts x amps).

Now sometimes this can be tricky, since you can use 6 diodes to make a 3-phase bridge. When generally you need 4 diodes to rectify each phase.

A single-phase would be the equivelent of a hot and nuetral in common household wireing. Such as 120volts. 3-phase generally just uses 3'hots' with no nuetral, the catch is each phase is 120* out from the next. For example 3-phases may only total 360* of total waveform.

"Is the 35 amps the point at which power the bridge will burn out or is that the point that it 'cuts in'? "

Forget cutin-speed for now. That is exulsively rated to RPM, and your batt-banks state of charge.

Always bear in-mind OHM's Law....

There is a voltage correction that needs to be made, if your figuring watts. Like a switch that can handle 6amps at 120v can only handle 3amps at 220volts.

The cutin speed on the otherhand is going to be a bit much more dynamic and accorinly harder to nail down. Things such as blade diameter and other specifications(furling speed, etc) are going to need to be made known, in order to factor the correct ohms(wire gauge and # of turns) for each coil wired, whether its in single phase 'or three phase.

"If you use 3 bridges and common the ac leads on each then the 3 phase rating can just about be 35A if you have heat sinks big enough."

NO,

That should be- "If you use 3 bridges and common the 'DC' leads on each,

;)

JW

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:10:58 PM by JW »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »
here you go........

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:53:27 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

melder215

rectifier help
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
I am trying to use 2 phases of winding inside an old AIR wind generator.  SWWP brand.  They don't sell parts for it anymore.  i am having alot of trouble with the full bridge wave rectifiers.  I can still read ac voltage out of them with my digital multimeter.  Why?  i am pretty sure i have them hooked up right.  They are labeled.  I've tried old and new ones.  I don't have the DC + - hooked up to anything.  just the meter.  PLease help.  This is holding me up on several projects.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:15:36 PM by melder215 »