Author Topic: Different Magnet Grades  (Read 10140 times)

Ponderance

Different Magnet Grades
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »
I recently stumbled upon a magnet merchant that lists the grades of magnets that they sale.  They have a very large selection and some good price deviations with bulk.  They also have n38 grade magnets that would be great for school experiments as well.

i was thinking of using wondermagnet.com (which is linked to this site) for my 2x1x.5 inch mags on a 22" rotor when i decided to do a price comp between a multitude of dealers and came up with this dealer and their different Gauss grades. So i'm looking for pro's vs con's on this sort of thing as well.

My question is this:

when building a PMA, is it worth it to pay the few extra bux per mag for the extra Gauss strength/pull force or would it create too much flux to buy the higher grade mag?

(basically would it be detrimental to the design or is it the point of getting monstrosities for magnets?)

here are the 2 magnets i found (dealer is K&J Magnetics):

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0X08  <-- this is their n42 grade

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0X08%2DN52  <-- this is their n52 grade

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:55:31 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Different Magnet Grades
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:56:07 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the KJ magnets are a bit under double the price to go from N40 to N42.  This is deep into the point of diminishing returns in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:56:07 PM by RP »

Ponderance

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:14:49 PM »
now that you mention it, i did notice the price diff. 'tween the n40's and n42's and the price on the affiliated site w/ fieldlines.com on n42's is substantially less than KJ's prices, but the n52's is my main idea since they're nasty looking in pull force and gauss strengths.... i think that was my main question, is it worth it for n52's vs the n42's from http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/  ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:14:49 PM by Ponderance »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »
Ponderance;

i was thinking of using wondermagnet.com (which is linked to this site)

Actually they Run this site. Despite that, DanB doesn't seem to mind the posting of competitors sites on the site he uses to support himself and this forum. Personally, I would feel differently if it were me, but it isn't.

Just a heads up.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:20:27 PM by TomW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:34:20 PM »
I think you mean they run this site, and they pay the bills to keep this site running?

G-
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:34:20 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Ponderance

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »
i was using it as a reference rather than an advertisement & secondly you missed where i corrected myself since the actual sales of magnets are on http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/ it was a price comp to start with and wound up being a question of design pertaining to the manufacture of a 22" rotor using a higher grade magnet that i "did not see" on the linked sales site.

that being said:

Actually they Run this site. Despite that, DanB doesn't seem to mind the posting of competitors sites on the site he uses to support himself and this forum. Personally, I would feel differently if it were me, but it isn't.

i was not questioning prices, but if it was worth searching for stronger magnets if the price would be more compromising to the cost effectiveness behind homebrew gen's....

my question from this post was a direct relation to a project in the makings and not used for defamation of this website or any of its affiliates .... thanks for your reply though.

my deepest apologies to any staff or affiliated staff members who took offense to this post, it was not my intentions to defame or otherwise ostracize anyone either directly or indirectly.

Ponderance

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:34:49 PM by Ponderance »

harrie

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »
Personally, I would not pay high prices for the higher grades, I have only used wondermagnet from this site which are N38 (at least I think they are). I think you need to talk to the host cause there seems to be a difference in the price listed and what is quoted. Maybe depending on quanity?

I have been very happy with the results on my turbines, and have always had great speedy service when I have ordered.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:46:14 PM by harrie »

Ponderance

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_37&products_id=154  <-- these appear to be n40'ish mags...

so basically bang for buck, it's not feasible to buy the higher grade mags... that's what i was wanting to know... thx a mill harrie!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:58:43 PM by Ponderance »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
Bingo
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:28:43 PM by TomW »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:24 AM »
There is not a lot of difference between N38, N40 and N42. If the price differential is small then go for the higher grade.

For the higher grades beyond 42 you will most likely pay a large cost penalty. The difference may be worth it if you can do your own design, it is not cost effective to use the higher grades in published designs and then end up stalled or having to drastically increase the air gap, you are degrading them to the same flux density .

If you want to pay a high premium price then I would go for the high temperature grades and have a bit more in hand on a hot windy sunny day.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:22:24 AM by Flux »

Ponderance

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 07:34:11 AM »
sweet, you answered a second question that was just brewing up with this reply! Thanks for the reply, Flux!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:34:11 AM by Ponderance »

fcfcfc

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »
Very high prices... You can do much better than that...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:45:02 PM by fcfcfc »