Author Topic: Series vs Parallel  (Read 892 times)

King Budman

Series vs Parallel
« on: November 18, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »
I am new to generating your own electricity, but I am gonna get laid off here soon for the winter and was thinking about making a PMG windmill.

I have been looking at alot over the past few weeks and cant seem to find(or at least understand) the answers to a few questions.

1. Why do people make their windmills furl, is it because they dont change between series and parallel on the fly, cause from what I have read it sounds like for higher wind speeds parallel is better and lower series is better.
  2. Assuming I have #1 right. If I change a 3 phase PGM from series to parallel on the fly.

lets say 500 rpm in series it is producing 32v 20A

would 500rpm in parallel produce 12v 60A?

Thats all I can think of now

Hopefully this hasent been asked alot because I couldnt find it

Thanks in advance

King Budman

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 05:06:39 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Series vs Parallel
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:56 AM »
Budman,

I believe you are a bit confused. Most here build 3 phase alternators. Some will switch between "Star and Delta".

They make their mills furl because the power of the wind is on the cube of speed and the things can only handle a certain amount of power.

Some of the alternators are wound "two in hand" or maybe "four in hand". On one of these machines one might run the two in hand in parallel for one voltage and in series for half the amps and twice the voltage. The four in hand could have single strand, two in parallel or 'two and two' in parallel

Electronic switching could be done. It would provide for lower cut-in speeds and output better suited for the battery charging voltage. That adds a layer of complication. And, it something fails a runaway turbine is a good possibility.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:23:56 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Series vs Parallel
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
---- Why do people make their windmills furl, is it because they dont change between series and parallel on the fly----

Here is why to furl

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/9/18/175236/739

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/1/29/11194/6749

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:31:12 AM by wooferhound »