Author Topic: resin and hardener  (Read 3232 times)

blueyonder

resin and hardener
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »
  i got myself sum casting resin -two and a half liters -half gallon about.

two small tubs of hardener . but no writing on them. to be honest i forget how much to put in.  ive used fiberglass resin before. it was allways just a few drops to add to resin mix.  but this is for a rotor i am going to cast.  weather is getting cold

and i will need the right amount. but dont want it getting over hot as its better to ask than just mix it up and see how it gos.

i also got a small hypodermic thing to add the hardener . its in ml.

its got 2-4-6=8-10 ml on the side .

i dont want to wait till xmas to open the mould. its a small amount i know.

but cant remember doh.   first time i have used casting resin but think it will be ok.                 so is 50 ml resin to one -1 lt hardener look ok.

that would be 50-1.   so 500lt resin  10 lt hardner? cheers john  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:53:51 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: resin and hardener
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:07:43 AM »
I seem to remember the usual figure is 5%

For large quantities such as castings then that seems far too much. Reducing to 2% would make sense. If you go on the low side it will normally kick the reaction off if you warm things a bit.

I would check these figures, they are from memory and I must confess I have never found ways to measure these small quantities I have been lucky with guesswork so far. I am sure I err well on the low side . I think most of the run away and cracking comes from erring on the high side.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:07:43 AM by Flux »

warpsta

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:18:22 AM »
My resin and hardener says mix to 2%.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 05:18:22 AM by warpsta »

blueyonder

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »
 well its done. i now have a steel rotor mixed in resin.

done it in my outside workshop that wasent verry warm  so got a portable gas fire and got it warmed up to 20 deg c. only problem was i was a bit overdressed and soon got a bit hot. so stripping off a few layers . i was more like in my summer gear   it all went verry well  ive mixed and used resin before but only in summer on boats .

i made two mixes. was hard to say how much i needed to fill mould.

it was a small rotor 9"  but i am working on cutting two 12" steel discs.

so this one is just getting me into it.

looks like i got the mix ok . been a while since i done a bit of glassing.

but i did panick as i thought resin was  starting to gell as i was putting the bits of glass matting in.   how odd it was all in my mind as the resin dident set for a long time.  

so it all went well.  so what have i learned.  first i think the steel rotor was still a bit cold.  workshop was warm .as the man says prewarm things first.

its a bit of 8mm steel so not thin.

next thing i learned was the brush i was using had a bit steel on it that was being pulled about in my hand as i tried to stipple the glass getting the bubbles out.

that put me right off my stroke.  but will know about this next time.

stator will be a bit better to work on (i think)

got a few pics .but need to wait till towmorrow to open mould.

at least then i can try testing sum coils on lathe.

i bet copper wire will be verry expensive. as the price is going up every day.

its a 9" 8mm rotor with n42 mags 8 of them . just got to try sort out what wire i will need with a 6 foot prop . yes only one rotor but i will give it a go.

i dident use any talc  i forgot doh.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:28:21 PM by blueyonder »