Author Topic: Enameling copper wires  (Read 1075 times)

martin1

Enameling copper wires
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:41:15 AM »
I´m working on simple machine that enamels ordinary coppper wires but I'm having problems (of course). I have tested many different kinds of superglues but they don't stick to the wire evenly and polyurethane doesn´t dry fast enough. I was wondering if someone else has tryed this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:41:15 AM by (unknown) »

wienerDogArtist

Re: Enameling copper wires
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
I haven't, but while in Africa this summer I heard of of this one electronics repairman in Zambia who replaced the burnt-out coils of an alternator using copper wire dipped in a lacquer of some kind -- I'm afraid I don't know exactly what it was, but it sounded like something used to seal coats of paint.  I could be wrong about this, so don't take too much stock in what I'm saying -- it may be worth an experiment though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 07:17:08 PM by wienerDogArtist »

sk windpirate

Re: Enameling copper wires
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:10:50 AM »
You might try using a clear acrylic laquer. (automotive maybe). Something made for metal not wood. Use a small spray gun, with low presure. streach out a length, spray it, let it dry, then roll it up. We use clear to paint over some types of paints to protect them. Laquer dries quite fast. It may be to hard and crack, so you will want to experment on some test pieces first.

The pirate

Ron

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:10:50 AM by sk windpirate »