Author Topic: Getting a variance  (Read 1310 times)

imsmooth

Getting a variance
« on: December 23, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
I am serious about putting up a turbine, but I live in a residential area.  Each property has around 2 acres and a lot of tall trees 30-80 feet.  There is no code in our township bylaws, so in order to put up a turbine one needs a variance.

So, I met with the head of building and code enforcement.  He said that I would first have to send certified letters to all properties within a 200' radius of the corners of my property.  This is about 8-10 neighbors. I would also have to send letters to the electric, cable and phone company.  This letter would state that I want to put up a 45' tower with a 10' diameter turbine connected to the grid, and if they have any questions or concerns there will be a board meeting where the board would decide if they will grant the variance.  If any one of these people expresses a concern the project is dead.  If no one shows up I will need to make a presentation showing what I want to do, what it will look like, what noise it will make, and where it will be located.  Depending on how they feel, they will either grant me the variance or deny it.

If I get the variance, I will need to pay a NJ engineer to evaluate my tower plans, even if it is an existing kit, and give his approval.  This will most likely cost some money.

So, does this sound familiar to anyone?  Has anyone dealt with this?  Any suggestions?  If feel that since my 10' turbine will not make a ridiculous amount of power that this seems like a lot of work.  Is 500-1000w/hr really worth this hassle?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:46:03 PM by (unknown) »

monopole

Re: Getting a variance
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »
Not sure I can help you with your problem, but I have thought about this matter too. I have a slightly different strategy worked out for the future.

As I'm a HAM, I'd like to put up a tower. For 'amateur radio purposes', NOT for antennas (the permit should NOT mention it is just for antennas). When the tower is installed, there will, of course, be an antenna mounted on it. And after a while a small genny may find its way up there too. Let's say, to power the shack during outages, for emergency power during calamities, etc.

Over time, the genny may grow slightly larger and the antennas may grow smaller.

The plan is to 1) first get people used to the tower; 2) get them used to a small genny; 3) get them used to a larger genny

I think that would be the only way I could get the job done, where I live. Little by little.

As a sidenote, getting a HAM license is pretty easy nowadays.

Monopole.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:57:49 PM by monopole »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »
One thing I have found with towns, municipalities and what not, is they very often don't know what their talking about. Before you take it for granted they can tell you what to do make them show you in black and white that they can. Don't take their WORD for it. A small fee to an appropriate attorney could save you more in engineering, etc. costs.

As a builder I often have building departments and zoning telling me what I can and can't do and it's funny how often they change their tune when you call them on it.

"OK, just let me write down exactly what your saying, do I have this right? And your full name and title is?  Now I'll just confirm this with... And I'll be needing all the paperwork showing how this other similar project was permitted."

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:55:29 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »
What they said... Twice.

The people you are dealing with have NO idea what you are talking about.

Plus, "turbine"? Not a windmill?

"a 10' diameter turbine connected to the grid" sounds like you are in a hurry?  

No reason to frighten anyone right at the get go.

"a 10' diameter (that won't fit in my living room!) turbine (what the heck is a turbine? Part of a jet plane?) connected to the grid (is that safe for my new grid connected 52" LCD HD TV?)"

I certainly would not want a jet engine that is too big to fit in my living room connected to my fancy new TV.  

Would you?

Maybe next year the existing 'wind powered battery charger' could be slightly modified to supply a little bit of power to the neighborhood's supply (completely along UL guidelines) to reduce the US money spent on forien oil and the 'green thing'.

Might want to re-word things before it goes ahead...

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/12/3/22172/7640

G-

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:00:34 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »
You wrote, "There is no code in our township bylaws, so in order to put up a turbine one needs a variance."

I don't know how your township operates but to me if there is no code regulating it, then there is nothing to get a VARIANCE from. A Variance is usually where they allow you to vary from the rules.

I live by the saying, "It is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission."

JMO
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:41:06 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

watermanhfl

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 06:49:16 AM »
I couple more comments as I have a 10' turbine mounted at about 45' and a grid connected solar PV system.

Suggest you first just run DC lights off the turbine. Easier to get through the town issues.  Add a small inverter to run a computer or other high use device.

The 10' does make usable power but is not going to ever pay back the $3,000 cost of a grid connected inverter and all the paperwork, inspections to go grid connected.  Enjoy the $2,000 you are going to put into the tower, battery and turbine.  Use/justify it as a emergency back-up system.

I had to get a variance for my tower but it was just a matter of going to two board meeting and presenting my plans.  As it was only 45' and not grid connected I did not need Engineer stamped plans, just some pics off Otherpower website. A sign in my front yard warned the neighbors I was going thru process.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 06:49:16 AM by watermanhfl »
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »
Instead of pointing out a 10-foot disc size for the turbine show how three 4+ foot blades and the hub make a stable 10' disc (gosh - 4-feet is kid sized!) and emphasis the proven furling system those little 4+ foot blades have to keep them safe and quiet...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:29:23 AM by DanG »