Author Topic: Newbie needs advice on building own solar panels  (Read 1343 times)

ACDC

Newbie needs advice on building own solar panels
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:34:59 AM »
Hello

I am hoping people on this forum can give me some advice on building my own solar panels cheaply. After searching on google my research so far has concluded that there is a lot of ideas out there, and finding the good info amongst all the commercial info is not so easy. Im hoping someone will filter the useless info out for me and tell me where the best place to start is for those wanting to build there own solar panels (cheaply) and eventually one day go off grid. I've heard of using titanium dioxide but this appears to be somewhat limited in its output. Are there any other more cost effective more efficient idiot proof "Do It Yourself" methods out there without buying expensive commercial pannels?...Any tips and advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

ACDC

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:34:59 AM by (unknown) »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Newbie needs advice on building own solar pane
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »
What you are trying to do is the equivalent of building a telescope with a handful of silica sand or a motorcycle from iron ore. If those were possible there would be few store bought telescopes or motorcycles or photo-voltaic panels.

Even buying complete wafers at raw silica prices you would need iron-free tempered glass sheets and an encapsulent method and a frame system - after which your panels have zero warranty and will have exceeded 50% of the price of 30-year warrantied panels.

Budget your money and save for a top tier PV panel.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:10:50 PM by DanG »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:53:17 AM by wooferhound »