Author Topic: Diodes or rectifier with PM motor  (Read 936 times)

saraatwork

Diodes or rectifier with PM motor
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:28:35 AM »
I have just got myself an Ametek 38vdc PM Motor - Yay !

Tested it by hand spinning and measured its outputs (clock and anti clockwise), Hooked it up to a charge controller, Battery and discovered the conversion from generator to running motor, as in started moving in my hand.

Lesson one 1 learnt...- Do more research

Looked into several different websites and discovered the need for a blocking diode to stop this happening - Yay - Current Flow 101 out of the way......

On Looking into diodes, i need a circiut board to connect it to ... am i ready for that ... i dont think so.....but ill park that for a minute.

So now that i know how to solve problem 1, i have another issue, Clock and anti clockwise rotation. How do i hook it up to generate in both directions ?

As i said in the begining im still playing and learning..... My thoughts were to use this (starter setup) to test different wind condition around my house, as there is a tunnel effect occurring ... so i wanted to play with a vertical turbine.

Therefore my second question is how to resolve the dual rotation.....with the current connections ?

My little knowledge says Rectifiers are for AC to convert an alternating current to DC by Switching this to continuous positive and negative outputs....?

So my real question is in this scenario of "simple" newbie design..... can i connect a recifier instead of a diode to resolve the rotation issue, the blackflow issue and enable a simple Plug connect in the process ?

Maybe there is a better way.. but before i buy i would like some help

Thanks Sara

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:28:35 AM by (unknown) »

commanda

Re: Diodes or rectifier with PM motor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »
The terms rectifier and diode are generally interchangeable and refer to the same thing; a single diode.

What you want is a bridge rectifier, which is made up of four diodes. Bought as a single item, it will have 4 terminals. The 2 labelled AC connect to your generator, and the positive and negative terminals connect to your battery. Now, whichever direction you spin the motor, the right 2 diodes will conduct to send power to your battery at the correct polarity.

Amanda

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:10:30 AM by commanda »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:15:10 AM »
For a wind generator you are only going to rotate it one way so you need a diode in series with the thing to block the motoring direction.

You could use a bridge rectifier and then it would generate in either direction but I can't imagine why this issue would arise in any practical wind situation except from a mechanism connected to a swaying tree or something.

Just use a single diode, the bridge is no advantage and has extra diode drops. When rotational speed produces in excess of battery volts it will charge, below this speed the diode will block discharge from motoring tendencies.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:15:10 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »
Sorry I didn't fully read your question.

Use a bridge rectifier then it will generate in either direction ( or most likely neither with a vawt)

Flux

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:51:30 AM by Flux »

kurt

• website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
flux the optimist..... lol   a amatek is realy the wrong type of motor/genny to use for a vawt amateks need 300 rpm plus to start charging at 12v. but be that as it may if you do ever hit charging voltage with your ametek you will fry that bridge rectifier unless you mount it to a heat sink with heat sink paste think big hunk of aluminum  or steel or something an amatek maxes out at about 10 amps in a hurricane with good wooden blades of about 4' on it so the bridge is going to be dissipating some heat but not a huge amount.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:24:56 PM by kurt »