Author Topic: double up wire?  (Read 1705 times)

brianschanafelt

double up wire?
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:32:50 AM »
If i take two or three #8 insulated wires would i have less current loss and more amps,Rather than having one big wire. So if i was to take three for positive and three for negitive would that be the same as having one big wire or pretty close to a #2 wire. I have about 1000 ft of #8 wire and i only have to make about a one hundred foot distance from my wind turbine to my house.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:32:50 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: double up wire?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »
Two strands of #8 is the same as #5. 2 strands of #5 is the same as #2.

Therefore four strands if #8 will be the same as a single #2 so yes you can parallel them up.

With a wind generator the effect of current produced is more difficult to predict. If the machine is efficient you may find some added line resistance gives you greater output by avoiding stall but normally for solar and all other applications the lower resistance the better.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:20:35 AM by Flux »

brianschanafelt

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:35:33 AM »
also if u have a dump load. Do u have to have a battery controller? or should u have them both.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:35:33 AM by brianschanafelt »

dinges

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:12:33 AM »
R u 4 r3al ? U gotta r3ad da FAQ dud3!

H0w R u g0ing 2 c0ntr0l da dumpl0ad w1th0ut a c0ntr0ll3r ?

Flux, as usual, your patience is amazing. In my experience it's only 12 y.o. wannabe kids who write like this. Me thinks someone is wasting time and space on this board.

The original poster could at least show some respect to people and write in proper English.

Just my humble opinion. Others may disagree.

Peter.

(Dutchman).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:12:33 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

dinges

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 04:24:46 AM »
Never mind. I see now it was posted in newbies. It's where anything goes.

Disregard the previous message.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:24:46 AM by dinges »

blueyonder

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 05:47:57 AM »
  well guys or should i say flux . yes flux has a lot of patience .

but the odd thing is i also wanted to know that question .

i got a 70 watt solar panel running .sum times with so little sun it dont put out much.

but i got a new controller fitted now  .and can watch the charge in amps.

so now i can double up the cabling and see it it helps a bit.

looks like i should have said it was the answer i wanted to know.

keep up the good work flux .  your a real gentleman.

i wish i was . im more like  Dinges .  R U FUR REAL. but sumtimes good manners rub off on folk like me.

i do know that if you have a bit 2x4" and want to make it stronger you can make it

4x4" or 6x4" . but i know wood is not very conductive so that idea sucks .

yes us newbies must be a pain sumtimes.  

but its lucky we got the otherpower here to help sumtimes.

thanks yeh all.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:47:57 AM by blueyonder »

brianschanafelt

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:44:41 AM »
I don't see how you guys git so pissed off when somebody asks a question when they are just trying to find out a little information sorry for MAKING U LOOK AT THE MESSAGE. I didn't force anybody to look at it. All i know is if somebody needs help with something i am more than happy to help them because knowledge is free. you don't need to downgrade somebody for just trying. I know for damn shure nobody knows anything without asking a question. sorry if i was just a waist of YOUR TIME. thats cool because I would ammagine that there is somebody that would be glad to help somebody that is trying to LEARN something that could benifit everyone. plus half of the people here cant spell that well anyway. I for shure have problems with spelling. but this not a english coarse. if you can read it than what is the difference if you use proper english or not

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:44:41 AM by brianschanafelt »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »
Uh, Thanks for the rant.

Ever heard of courtesy?

courtesy (noun)

politeness; good manners; cordiality; civility

You act like you are entitled to act any way you want and folks should be grateful you let them help you.

Its your thread. Waste it complaining if you wish. Please keep it civil, both language and demeanor.

T

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:22:04 AM by TomW »

dinges

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »
Ok, I'll throw a little more oil on the fire...

If I were you I would be deeply ashamed of my English. 14 year old Dutch kids have a better grasp of the language than you. BTW, it's not just you I'm talking about, there are plenty of other posters (even in this very thread) who write lousy. Some claim it's  lack of ability; I claim it's mostly a lack of making an effort.

As far as "I know for d*mn shure nobody knows anything without asking a question", you are wrong here too (not just w.r.t. spelling). I've learned most things not by asking but by reading and googling. This is another little problem I've had with your 9 posts in 9 days. Just thank the Lord on your bare knees that I'm not an editor.

Don't mistake me for the 'proper English-police'. But spelling and writing like you (and others) do I consider to be an insult to the audience.

As a final bit of advise, notice that people make judgements about others based on how they write. I do too. Call me a bigot, rant or rave, whatever makes you feel better. But it's the harsh reality.

Do with this feedback as you like.

Peter (neither an English professor nor a native English speaker)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:39:13 AM by dinges »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
"if you can read it than what is the difference if you use proper english"

Maybe because 1/2 the people here do not speak English?

Many people use translation software.

Half the people who could answer the question have no idea WTF you asked.

Half of those left won't bother asking WTF you are talking about.

(I know an answer to an earlier post, but didn't bother tring to translate your answer to a simple question)

I speak English, and can't spell worth a siht. Spell check can't figure out what I mean most of the time, like insolation or mosfet, but I try.

And I delete text messages from my phone.  Unread.  I never even check who sent them.  If the SOB can't call and say what he can compress into 8 letters, then I do not need to try to figure out what it means.

You are speaking with experienced educated intelligent people who have better things to do than decipher codes.  Maybe ask the code breakers how to calculate wire?

The knowledge you can gather here would cost many thousands of dollars in the free market.

If you want to speak 12 year-old cell phone text, ask the 12 year old kids on myspace.

Is that a rant?

G-

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:33:27 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
G-;

Well said! Not my coarse and blunt way but touches on the core issues.

About now he realizes he shot himself in the foot and how said foot tastes.

We may need to require a bit higher qualifications than a computer and internet for posting questions on this forum. Things like clarity and disclosure of exactly what you are doing. Not to mention some illusion of effort on the posters part. Don't get me started. This is just one more in a long list. Not only rehashing the same stuff repeatedly but where did our builders and doers go?

Its like drive up food or something. Expecting / demanding fast, personal, one on one service. What happened to personal initiative? We will be running out of spoons soon.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:38:18 PM by TomW »

elvin1949

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 11:54:14 PM »
Tom

I do not have any plastic spoon's,and i am not going to through away the good silver.

Did i say that right_hope so.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:54:14 PM by elvin1949 »

rudig

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »
Hi All,

I started reading this question and found it strange but hey who am I to judge someone's electrical knowledge. Also the answer that some many of wire x adds up to the same equivelant of wire y was nice to read, never thought of it like that. So I also learned something.

But than the whole thing about English came along, and I really don't understand it.

I'm Dutch and my English is nice, but certainly not perfect, why is everybody falling over his English? For most here Hugh is our "example", how many workshops do you think he's given over the world while not being able to understand everybody the first time?  Isn't the goal of this message board helping each other and acheaving (spelled right?) the goal of a great windmail?

Please be a little more tollerant. I find the board to be informative, cut my first wooden try-out blades and am thinking of a new set which is better.

Let's help each other and not bash the newbies.

Thanks

Rudi

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 02:51:36 AM by rudig »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »
I can overlook truly misspelled words and bad English from NonEnglish users. But U R not da 1 I'm talking about. You are writing Text Message Shorthand and it's not acceptable in message forums. Please try to learn to spell. The Firefox Internet Browser has a built in spell checker.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:58:29 PM by wooferhound »

finnsawyer

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
I thought "Rants and Opinions" was where anything goes.  But I found out that's not the case when the editors disabled "comments" on my latest rant.  Oh, well?

As far as English usage is concerned, I've advocated some reasonable standards all along, mainly because I am concerned that eventually we won't be able to understand each other.  A shame, because the Internet requires reasonable ability to communicate.  A lot of it, I think, is just due to laziness.  I suppose if the community does make clear, as has been done with this thread, that certain minimal standards are expected, it may help.  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:39:38 AM by finnsawyer »