Author Topic: Trombe Lite  (Read 874 times)

artpetch

Trombe Lite
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:52:03 PM »
A friend of mine who built a stone home and glazed the east and south walls suggested that I do the same on my regular brick clad normally insulated  house.

I guess he thinks that the extra heating of the brick will help reduce the normal heat loss to a level that would prove beneficial in the long term.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, where the climate is pretty close to sub-arctic (today's high is minus 15 degrees celcius).  It strikes me that such an endeavour would not be so cost efficient as to justify the use of thermo-pane glass.  But would even regular glass be worthwhile as my friend suggests?

Do you have experiential or theoretical background on this issue to help me answer this question?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:52:03 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: Trombe Lite
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
Lots of good info on this type of thing over at "builditsolar.com"

Eliminating the wind blowing on the heat-absorbing wall will help it absorb much more heat than its losing, plus, the additional wall (with many windows) will reduce heat loss at night.

It may be useful to consider spending a little more to make a green-house on the East-South. Same effect as a Trombe, with additional floorspace at minimal additional cost.

It can be accomplished at minimal cost initially with PVC and clear plastic. Then, if you feel the price is worth the results you are getting (and given time, you can salvage some windows free) you can put together a more substantial and attractive structure (I have a wife).

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face, and not me." - Gary Cooper, on turning down the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:45:12 PM by spinningmagnets »

fcfcfc

Re: Trombe Lite
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
Hi: What is the R-value of the insulation in the walls that would be covered..??..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:20:37 PM by fcfcfc »