Author Topic: windmill with DCPM Motor  (Read 4111 times)

Tballer2

windmill with DCPM Motor
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
Hi, I am very new to windmills, I have been doing some research on the internet. I would like to eventually try an axelflux? windmill. At the moment I am trying to make a windmill from a DCPM Motor. I have 2 Motors, 1 is an argord 2 1/2 hp 130volt dcpm motor, 18.5 amp. The other motor is a baldor motor, 90 volt .8 amp motor. the argord motor is not putting out enough volts, with low speed drill motor I am getting about 11 volts, and plenty of amps, it will light up a car headlight, no problem, The baldor, puts out 20 volts, but minimal amps, .8 and will light a turn signal bulb, as for a headlamp, no way hosay! Any suggestions would be helpful I am thinking gear up the argord with maybe  bicycle gears and chain, and shoot for 15 volts, and go with maybe 4' or 5' foot blades to spin it? Any help would be highly appreciated, Thank You
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:09:59 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: windmill with DCPM Motor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:34:51 AM »
Forget the Baldor, it's probably a nice motor but you must realise that if you attempt to run it at a fraction of its intended voltage the rating will fall to a fraction. If you start with a motor based on 70W then as a wind generator you may be looking at 7W out.

The big one starting nearer 2kW should be able to do a lot more. It will cut in at 12v at about 1/10 of its rated speed. Unfortunately you don't give a makers speed or the speed of your drill so it is nearly impossible to say whether you need a speed increase                     or not.

You really need to sort out the speed at this stage. I doubt that you could use a speed increasing drive with a 4ft prop and retain any low wind speed performance but it would need a very fast motor indeed to not give something with a direct driven fast 4ft prop.

If you want the speed increase option I would start looking at 6ft or bigger and that size of motor is likely to be able to handle a 6ft prop with suitable gearing.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 01:34:51 AM by Flux »

Tballer2

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:39:51 PM »
Thanks I really appreciate the help, the motor has a rpm rating of 6700, I wish I could read the rpm on the drill motor, I put the motor up today I have it on an old ceiling fan hub with like 36" Diameter 4 blades, its connected to a 5/8 shaft on pillow blocks for good bearing support wind is about 15 mph, won't turn it over hardly, once in a while a gust would come by and start it but it quit spinning right away. Thanks again, I will have to get a way to get the rpm figured out somehow, i will check neighbors drill motors!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:39:51 PM by Tballer2 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 02:17:29 AM »
Look at a post above where I have covered this. Your motor is very similar with a cut in of about 620 rpm.

I would again advise a speed increase with roller chain and 6 or 7 ft prop. Fans are ornaments and best left alone, I know some have used them but you will not do much good with speed increasing unless you build a decent 3 blade wooden prop.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:17:29 AM by Flux »

Tballer2

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »
I made a couple adjustments this morning with it, we were suppose to get some 20 mph winds today, in hopes it would spin better, I raised the tower a bit and realigned the motor and drive shaft, unfortunantely wind didn't happen so got no mesurements on output from direct drive, does seem to spin a little easier though. I am going to go with your suggestion I am thinking I may have to go 3 to 1 ratio, but still not really sure about that, I am going to try making 3 blades, app. 4 foot long, wing shaped, 8" wide. The wind speed in this area isn't very good especially in the summer time, I am thinking I will need to grab as much wind as I can and I will need more power to allow for gearing up for the motor. Another question I have. to me it doesn't seem to make sense, but has anyone tried putting flaps, like on an airplane wing to help with blades stalling? You would get increased turbulance over the top of the blade, which would give more lift, but I would think the increase in the  drag would make it not feasable?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:36:09 PM by Tballer2 »

Tballer2

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:28:57 PM »
I am posting what I am doing and plan to do in my diary, to make it easier to sort through hopefully, Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:28:57 PM by Tballer2 »

zeusmorg

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
  Most low speed drills run at 600 rpm, but that may not be the case with yours.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:31:28 PM by zeusmorg »

Tballer2

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:55 PM »
 I updated my diary and here is pic of blades I made, feel free to comment, Thanks,Tony

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:30:55 PM by Tballer2 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 07:58:24 AM »
Other than the size of that pic...

The mounts will break in a good wind.

G-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:58:24 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

elvin1949

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »
G-

I agree. He needs to get above the trees to.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:16:17 AM by elvin1949 »