Author Topic: getting started  (Read 1041 times)

Greenhorn

getting started
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »
OK, am completely ignorant of basically any knowledge dealing with solar power. I have wanted to get started for years but just started really investigating this subject. I stumbled onto this site and have been very pleased with the quality of posting (feel you will tolerate my ignorance basically). Live on the grid and intend to stay on the grid. I am not looking for constructing a system to power everything. My tentative goal would be to construct a system that would be hooked to the existing fuse-box, pumping excess energy out to the grid when possible but simply reducing energy consumption from the grid as much as possible when home. I don't intend to piecemeal components together - want to design a quality system but as most people out there, I don't have 20K or more to plop down at one time but what I would like to do is design a system that I can build over the next 5-10 years. My basic question is: What is the best approach to tackle this?

My assumption is that there are three main costs - the panels, the inverter, and the simple cost of paying the power company to come out and hook the box to the inverter. Since I would like to take a `pay as you go' path, I thought the best approach would be to first buy an inverter, then save up and pay for a connection to the grid, and finally purchase the panels (one panel, then another, until I have covered a significant portion of the electricity use). I am a jack of all trades, so I feel I will be able to accomplish all construction tasks necessary (outside of the grid hookup of course) once I get a plan pulled together. Since I don't know anything about compatibility between solar systems - is this an idiotic strategy? With regard to the inverter, does it have to be sized to the panels or is that a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. I realize this is a very broad spectrum question but appreciate you pointing me down a good path. Thanks

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:28:21 PM by (unknown) »

motoman465

Re: getting started
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
I have heard that the Harbor Freight panels are pretty decent.  I have heard varying stories about the "power center" supplied with it.

Todd

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:15:36 PM by motoman465 »

jonas302

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
first thing I would do with a system of any size is check into state and power company rebates some cut the cost in less than half do a search or get ahold of a local installer
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:33:05 PM by jonas302 »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »
Check with your local electric company and ask them about "grid-tie" and "net-metering".

IF it's allowed in your region, there may be severe restrictions on what components are allowed. I only did a brief look into this, and decided it wasn't something I was interested in, but apparently it works well for some people. Your local grid may only allow you to choose from a few approved and certified systems that they are familiar with to be attached to the grid.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:36:54 PM by spinningmagnets »

finnsawyer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:04:13 AM »
Just because the power company recommends something doesn't mean it's the best.  Some years back I decided to go with geothermal heat.  The heat pump the power company recommended turned out to be a dog.  I had to replace the compressor (under warranty) once and the fellow that bought my house once at his own cost.  Something about not protecting (shutting off) the compressor if the crankcase heater fails.  A curious thing was one of the company Engineers was named Stackhouse.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:04:13 AM by finnsawyer »

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
So I have a call into the power company (person I need to talk to is currently unavailable) but assuming there are no brand restrictions (possibly recommendations but not restrictions) - are there major compatibility issues with staging a project like this. I have looked on different websites and such and of course I can find various companies that sell kits but again you are talking serious cash at one time. Granted you could argue, why not just save money until you can buy it all. Well, for starters, I'd never reach that goal because having that big of a chunk of change in the bank account would make the wife want to spend it all. And second, I figure you can probably build a cheaper and better system if you don't rely on a single manufacturer (but you need to know what you are buying). Tacking onto my base question: do I need to just start talking to these 'big-time' dealers to decide on the best package, or can you assemble a top notch system buying separate components over time. Again, my incentive is not to be completely capable of being off the grid, I just want to do my part in being as efficient as possible and reducing the total demand on the existing grid.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:18:49 PM by Greenhorn »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
A single 'supplier' of all the pieces at once, may beat the pricing of getting all the parts from different places.

And a decent place will make sure all the pieces work together.

I do not know of a single brand that makes all the parts.

Depending on how it is done, all the parts may need to be UL Listed for gridtie

HF stuff tends to be Non-UL and short lived.

Consider a stand-alone system and use everything it can make before getting in to far with items that won't be suitable later.

Woof has a small system that is a nice start,

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/3/4/6303/63451

Conservation is the best money spent.

Read everything you can about what you want to do.  

Saving money/ ozone/ the planet isn't cheap.

G-

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:18:00 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:10:23 PM »
Welcome aboard, Greenhorn!

I got started about 2 years ago, and this board has been very helpful.  If I could make a suggestion about your plan (not so much about the equipment), I would say that if you don't have a lot of knowledge to start with, don't connect to the grid right away.

I have spent the last 2 years developping my "parallel" grid around my acreage.  It specifically does not connect to the utility and I am careful to make it not possible to accidentally do so, either.  My reason for doing this is that if I was grid-tied, my desire would be to leave it alone afterward.  I wouldn't want to change things or add things, because I would be obliged to get the power company involved again for a new certification process.  I would be required to buy certain specific devices to make the grid-tie safe for the utility use, and then there's the fees and extra meter that has to be read...

There is nothing wrong with being grid tied, but if you want to BOTH learn about the equipment, and optimize your costs, starting out grid-tied won't do.

At my current rate of progress, I could safely and correctly grid tie next year.  Maybe I will, maybe I won't.  I just about have all the equipment I need either already hooked up, or waiting until the proper buildings have been built for them.  And I got here spending many, many thousands of dollars less than I would have if I'd gone in feet first.

That's my philosophy, for what it's worth.  Whatever you choose, we love to help.  Feel free to ask questions as you go.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:10:23 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »
So I just finished talking to the contact at the utility company and it turns out that this person also used to work for a solar panel company and heads the power company's alternative energy section. They just passed (a few years ago) internal guidance which allows users to tie into the grid directly without any extra metering and you get full - 1:1 cost ratio so it sounds like my situation is better than the norm out there. You just have to purchase and install to code. To hook up to the breaker box I of course need a certified electrician but once the connection is set there are enough safety checks that allow a non-certified electrician (i.e. me) to add panels and such.

Response to Steven: I fully understand your angle and did contemplate that scenario (build a separate off-grid system) but I decided against it because with my personality I figure the opposite would happen. I don't typically dip my toes in anything and once I go, I just jump off the board. As a result, I think I am actually more liable to continue to tweak a system and the family electrical usage habits to see how often I can get the meter to run backwards. But having said that I am not ruling it out and believe I will be using this board quite often in the future. I have already found a ton of resource links that have been great help. I figure I will be consolidating tips and resource information for about the next six months or so before I finally jump in. Thanks for the advice. FYI, the person I spoke with at the power company is scheduling a visit to my house to provide some advice; additionally, he is going to supply some information on some federal incentives that he commented very few people know about so I will be posting the incentive programs if they have any substance.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:47:04 PM by Greenhorn »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
It is fun watching the meter run backwards, though it's only possible for me because the metering company put in the wrong sort (unratcheted) when we had them upgrade it for safety reasons a month ago...

(And they got me out of the bath this morning to read it again because apparently they'd failed to record the upgrade...)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:55:14 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social