Author Topic: copper wire  (Read 1238 times)

PLOW DAWG

copper wire
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
Is it possible to make an efficient alternator using insulated wire?? I am thinking 9 coils 2 rotors 12 magnets each.should it  be 12,24,or48v?? What size rotor? Im thinking 400-800 rpm approx 5hp from a seasonal water source.Looking to get 1.5 to 2kw @ 800rpm. I havent bought magnets yet.And I allready have the wire sitting around oh its 12 gauge wire I think.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:57:08 AM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: copper wire
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:12:55 PM »
i don't think you will get enough plastic coated wire into a coil with a thin enough air gap to make it work very effectively.  that is the entire idea behind magnet wire is you can get allot of it in a small space because the insulation is so thin.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 07:12:55 PM by kurt »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:53:57 PM »
I have lost my desert spoon but, click on the OTHERPOWER banner and look at our hosts Listoroid project.

What voltage will depend on what you want to do with it, how far it has to be transmitted etc, ie more info required from you befor a sensable answer can be given. What will drive this?

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:53:57 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

PLOW DAWG

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »
Thanks allan, the listeroid project link was very helpfull. I will need to transmit

the power about 400 feet to my house to supplement my power usage i.e. run several chest freezers and refridgerators(AC type)dump excess power to hot water tank etc.

My water source will only be viable 8 mmonths a year. I am considering a simple  

paddle wheel design which I would be able to remove in it's entirety for freeze up

(with a forklift).I estimate  The water flow to be about 1cubic yard per second. I

am contemplating other power sources to utilize the alternator as a back up power

source during the winter. I have access to a lot of salvage parts and will be able

to construct the majority of the project from them.I have an inverter allready. A

3000watt(12v)type.I'm just in the thinking about it stage right now so I am not  

committed to any one Idea and would appreciate any and all input I can get.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:55:42 PM by PLOW DAWG »

wpowokal

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »
You have much reserch to go then, one problem is the 400' if you do this at 12V you will need a huge cable for 1.5-2Kw. This is a problem we all wrestle with.

Check out some voltage drop charts such as this one http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

(there are many more) and remember the curent will actually travel 800' ie there and back.

Since you have a fork lift, ain't they greate, I would look at having the battery bank, on a pallet for want of a better description. Hydro season plonk it at the source, sending high voltage AC the 400'. Winter comes pick it up and place it near the other source. Food for thought anyway.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:08:08 PM by wpowokal »

PLOW DAWG

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »
yeah forklifts rule. I borrow mine from work but that makes it even better because  

I don't have to pay for maintenance(or fuel ha ha).I think I'll go with your idea

and ship the power via AC I can probably get enough batteries set up inside an  

insulated fish tote the drain hole would  work perfect for running wires through and

there would  be room to keep the charge controller also. Thanks for the help Allan  

lots more thinking to do.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:59:23 PM by PLOW DAWG »

wpowokal

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »
Depending on your battery type, particually flouded lead acid one would not locate electronic devices with them, gas from charging = corrosion.

Have you done an energy audit of your expected use, 1.5-2Kw/hour 24/7 is a lot of power. Also 2Kw@12V is around 160 amps, Dan's alternator is wound for 120v which is 10% of the current you are proposing.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:54:42 PM by wpowokal »

kurt

• website
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
ummm danb's pma for the listroid is 48v
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:44:07 PM by kurt »

wpowokal

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 05:36:23 AM »
I stand corrected, thanks Kurt but the point i was trying to make is still relevent.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 05:36:23 AM by wpowokal »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
Allan;

I been waiting to catch you in a mistake a long while. Now that I caught you in a mistake, you must stop into IRC and let me gloat.

I do miss seeing you stop in occasionally for a chat.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:30:41 AM by TomW »

PLOW DAWG

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
I average 1300kwh a month on my electric bill. With an alternator design like dans  

listeroid project(48v) how large should my battery bank be?? I wouldnt want to

exceed 20% discharge using trojan T105 6v or similar type battery. what size

inverter? My highest volt load would be from the well pump(240). I've heard that

Trace inverters are top of the line. But those are spendy. I don't want to walk over

a dollar to pick up a dime but "CHEAP" is my middle name. If I grid tie my utility

co. will credit me for excess power for future use but not a direct pay-out. I'm

not sure of all the hoops I'd need to jump through for grid tie.I'm located in

Alaska.Grid tie may be my best option at this point.Would I even need batteries?

Sorry for all the newbie questions guys. Again thanks for all the input. But I

figure you guys been there done that or heard of it anyways.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:50:37 PM by PLOW DAWG »

wpowokal

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »
In grid tie the grid becomes your batteries but if the grid goes down so does your power. Because hydro can give a constant steady power it is possible to generate at AC voltage and maintain a fairly steady frequency.

Battery bank size...

http://www.oasismontana.com/batteries.html

scroll down to near the bottom.

As i'm in Australia we make our own inverters for local conditions, usually bloudy hot, I guess you have the reverse. Trace are available here along with many other imports, I understand Windyboy is designed to take a variable DC and invert to grid tie, try googeling that. After thinking about it for a moment that would probally be a neat solution for you, it would solve your transmission problem. I am not sure but asume in the case of a Windyboy the grid as well as your own source can jointly supply surge loads.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 05:39:52 PM by wpowokal »