Author Topic: Startup suggestions please  (Read 919 times)

HarryPutnam

Startup suggestions please
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:37:26 PM »
Group,

It wasn't clear if this is an appropriate use of the board.  If not please direct me.

I want to build or buy some kind of alternator that can be hooked to a fitness machine such as rower, treadmill, stationary bicycle etc.

Further, I'd like to wire the output into my house electrical system.

I don't expect to be able to effect my elect bill much but would like whatever output I do generate to be available for household consumption.

I don't have much of an idea what is available or where to look for it in the way of alternators and especially the crossover wiring/switch or whatever the right terminology is to get bridged into the household wiring.

I don't really have much of feel for how big or costly a project like this might be and would appreciate any tips people might have about what is available or readily build-able and where to start looking for general directions or suggestions.

I have a lifetime of construction work so the construction part may be readily within my capabilities, but I possess only homeboy electrical knowledge.

I've wired a garage from scratch and done a fair bit of automotive and homeowner type electrical repairs.  That leaves me a long way from skilled in the electrical field but I thought maybe this kind of project would not need much more than that.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:37:26 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Startup suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
Forget about connecting it to the house wiring.  Far to expensive to consider.

Google "grid tie inverter".

The only reasonable way to do it is charging a 12V battery, then using 12V loads, or a power inverter to change the 12VDC to 120VAC.

Stationary bike is pretty easy. Not very expensive.

Google search the board (top right box) for "Ped-gen".  Check Hiker's posts too.

Might try regular google for "Ametek exercise bike".

Rower. Maybe, but sounds a bit more complicated.

Norm's porch swing posts might give you an idea.

Treadmill is not a good idea, as I see it.

G-

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:59:38 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »
Why not let the wind or sun do the work for you?

The fitness machine alt would be good idea for a weight loss incentive though.

Mark :v)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:33:04 PM by vawtman »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
Humans can only make about 100 watts of power

You would only be able to do this for a maximum of 1 hour

you would be very tired and only make .1 kilowatt hours of electricity

Search the board for "Pedal", you will get too much information . . .

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:39:25 PM by wooferhound »

PolarBear

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »
All the input you received from postings is good information.
The best is that it is just too expensive.

Put your heart is in the right place.
If you really want to do something because of concern for the environment, build what ever size affordable to you Wind-genie.  You'll have fun building it and get fruits for your labor.
Make a Windmill attaching a 12v alternator charging into a 12v battery and hook up an inverter.
What we did was have plug right at the base of the Wind-Genie.  The Swinging Pools filter is plugged in and I never paid for Filtering pumps to run.  It saved me about $32.00 per month for 8 months ($256.00 a year).  It cost me $418.00 to build.  This would have been the 3rd year working now ($768.00 for three years).  Wish I could have taken it with me when I moved.  At summers end of 2007 it put $350.00 in my pocket I would have spent in electric.  Less the two bucks I spent to replace the screws that fell out.

Now I have a new project starting I hope.
I will post it here as a NEW SUBJECT about the grant to allow testing of best placement of Wind-Genies.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:28:22 PM by PolarBear »