Author Topic: Alt. Experiment.  (Read 933 times)

JamDSol

Alt. Experiment.
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:25:15 PM »
Call me ignorant. But I'm just starting to learn this stuff.

I've read a lot on this page about building an altinator. but I still have a few questions. I can get small Neodymium Mag. grade N48 for relitively cheap. There 1"x1/2"x1/8" I was thinking of making a Small windmill out of them to experiment with before I commit to a larger 8-10ft windmill.

1. Can I put the magnets next to each other having the same pole up to "increase" the size of the magnet? Having like 4 in a square to make a 1"x2" magnet?
  2. How do you decide the size of the coils? I mean if the magnets are 1"x2" should the coil match the size of the magnet or be larger/smaller

Like I said Its an experiment but I'd like to have some idea of what I'm doing...I'll be reading as much as I can still though.

Joe

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:25:15 PM by (unknown) »

finnsawyer

Re: Alt. Experiment.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »
Why don't you get some cardboard and draw some layouts?  Going from 24 magnets in a usual arrangement to paired up as you suggest will presumably affect the spacing and consequently the amount of copper wire (resistance of the coils) needed.  If you double the spacing, as seems logical, you could fit in twice the number of turns, but can you get twice the number of turns using the same amount of the same copper wire (resistance) as you would with the usual 24 magnet design?  You could instead stack the magnets.  You would end up with a smaller rotor and coils, but more flux.  Keep in mind that for a given number of magnets you get the same number of cycles out per revolution irrespective of magnet size.  Both the voltage generated and coil resistance determine the output power.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:50:56 AM by finnsawyer »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:55 AM »
it's possible to use multiple mags to produce one pole .

it's very difficult to lay the mags down side by side as you describe.

it would  make a more powerful alternator,

if you use all those same mags as individual poles.

you have multiplied frequency by 4 .

the center hole of the coil should be about the same size as the magnet.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:27:55 AM by electrondady1 »

vawtman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:47:42 AM »
Hi Joe

I would use those mags on a small motor conversion to experiment.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:47:42 AM by vawtman »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
     Joe, when I started the first magnets I bought were the size you stated. I use them to play with. No idea what you mean by cheap but the last batch of N42 1" x 2" x 1/2" magnets I bought were only $3.61 a piece. If I figure right it would take 8 of those small magnets to equal 1 of the larger ones so unless your buying them for like 25 cents a piece I wouldn't do it.

My thought is you will frustrate yourself using those magnets. Since you said you CAN get them I assume you haven't yet. It is my thinking that anything you can do to increase your chance of success will keep your enthusiasm up and help to insure you won't give up before you see real results.

For less than $50 you can have 12 larger magnets. On a 10" disc with a second blank disc you can have a wonderful little first alternator capable of putting out amps, not milliamps. Even 8 larger magnets would give you a better chance of seeing results sooner instead of later or never if you give up.

You can do it and you can get lots of help. Don't make it too hard for yourself.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 07:33:23 AM by TheCasualTraveler »