Author Topic: Suggested Wiring Method?  (Read 1252 times)

VisualMonster

Suggested Wiring Method?
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »
Background:

I just got 8 new batteries for a 12v system and wondering what the best way to wire them would be.  I want to get the charge controller/inverter hooked up to all four 12v arrays to evenly charge/discharge them.  I wanted to get some of your thoughts for how I have these wired and the fuses I included.  I think my first method is sufficient, but wondering if it would be better to include additional connections to set all batteries in parallel.  I know the distribution blocks are a bit expensive, but they look good. :)

Here's a link to the distribution block:

4x input 1x output

and distribution block fuse:

1x input 2x output

Option 1)

Option 2)

Notice this has additional connections to set the batteries in parralel.  I'm not sure if including these would be better or if it's overkill.  I'm starting to think these aren't necessary and might be overkill.

I couldn't find a distribution block that has 4x inputs/2x outputs which is why there's a second one having 1x input/2x output.  I could just intertwine them, but it just looks cleaner having them wired nicely in blocks.  Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

Wide photos fixed. Please read photo posting guidelines. Next time I will just remove them [easier].

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:04:45 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Suggested Wiring Method?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
Hit either Pep Boys or high end car stereo dealers for a lot more options on fuse holders and distribution options.

G-
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:38:01 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

snowcrow

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:18:23 AM »
  What size wire are you using?  Your Inverter should have as few connection as possible between it, and the battery bank, and as near as possible as well!  For a 12v system, the battery and inverter cables should be large enough to handle the high amperage, 0 awg or better.

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:18:23 AM by snowcrow »

VisualMonster

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:16:54 PM »
i'm using 6 gauge, and there's about 3 feet between batteries and inverter.  It's a xantrex inverter and it came with 6 gauge cable, so I'm guessing that should be sufficient.  I doubt i'll ever pull much more than 600 watts out of it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:16:54 PM by VisualMonster »

VisualMonster

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »
I ended up skipping the distribution block to save a bit of $$.  Each of the battery connections has an O terminal, so I ended up getting a large bolt with a washer and bolting them together.  The bolt is secured on plywood so no chances of both coming together.  It actually doesn't look bad either, I'll post some pictures this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:21:43 PM by VisualMonster »

snowcrow

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 05:14:40 AM »
 It sounds like they're cheeping out on the copper these days.  At 600w you will be ok I guess, but thats at 80% capacity for 6 awg, depending on wire type.  If you find it getting quite warm, upgrade to 4 awg, your inverter will last longer!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:14:40 AM by snowcrow »