Author Topic: dual direction axial flux generator  (Read 868 times)

frontpage32

dual direction axial flux generator
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »
hi there me again .. new idea as altenator idea via peddle seems to suck. now been reading on the board about generating power and seems the axial flux is the way to go now also been reading another site about more is better etc. so my idea i know it would not be easy but all the time it seams the every one has the fixed stator and a moving armature so thought the wiring would be hard why would you not have the stator moving one direction and the armature moving the other direction rpm's would be lower over all but faster over all as magnets wire moving in opposite directions eg 5 rpm one direction 5 rpm other direction equals 10rpm total ? have picture crudely drawn for idea .. thought on this .. ?? i am a thinker don't know alot about wiring and motors so sorry if this has inherent problems but hoping to work through them .. 2 i am looking for ideas for strong cheap materials to try this .. does it make a difference on magnet size or using alot of small rare earth magnets lined up in rows side beside instead of less larger magnets looking at optimal size wire for windings and what is better i have seen single phase and 3 phase setups what is better .. ? hope i can get help with this idea ? oh and other than damaging motor from turning to fast ie bearings why brake the system if the wind starts getting really strong more spead equals more power no? ok .. thanks for help .. sorry if posted in wrong spot .. new here in the gaming world i would be called a noob ... as per son lol
We have photo posting rules here. The photos must be under 150kb and less than 640 x480 pixels. The photos you posted here were over 1000 pixels wide so i removed them
Kurt
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:26:31 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: dual direction axial flux generator
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »
There is nothing new. Yes you can spin the rotor and stator and yes there are problems.

You need sliprings to collect power from your spinning "stator?".

If you do things as you show you introduce gearing with all the associated nuisance and problems that most try to avoid.

Best way is to use contra rotating blades as Trimble Windmills did, it works fine but is a bit messy mechanically.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:40:41 PM by Flux »

spinningmagnets

Re: dual direction axial flux generator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
VAWT's spin slower but have more torque, so this has been discussed several times to improve its output. VAWTs are just not very useful for generating electricity. I like them for pumping water and fish pond aeration.

The toothed rubber timing belt and cogs from a car have a 2:1 ratio, and they're cheap and easy to find in any city. Using a timing belt to speed up the PMA is not a good idea for several reasons, but it is easier and cheaper than counter-rotating rotors/stators, and it also avoids the slip-ring brush losses.

I'm probably a couple years away from building a HAWT (can't have one here, gotta move) so I probably need to buy some copper before it goes up in price any more. Any that I don't use shouldn't be hard to sell at the old price.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:20:23 PM by spinningmagnets »