Author Topic: pedal power 5-10kw [CLOSED]  (Read 838 times)

truc41

pedal power 5-10kw [CLOSED]
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:35 PM »
newbie here. Retired with apparently way too much time on my hands.  Basic question is: can a wind generator (variable speed dc generator) of 5-10kw be rotated at 500-1000 rpm to generate 10-15 kw in a 2-3 hour period?  It would be used to charge batteries then the power run through an inverter for ac power.  I have searched for hours on the internet, but can't find an answer to this specific question.  The concept is this:  bicycle, stationary bike or rowing machine, recumbent exercise bike, etc. with a belt drive to a small pulley on a shaft.  A larger pulley on the same shaft with a belt running to a small pulley on the generator (or use a step-up gear box to accomplish the same thing).  Any power created by the generator would go to the batteries.  So far, I have found that an average person can create about 1/4 horsepower which isn't anywhere close to being enough to do this.  It may require a large flywheel on the generator shaft to help with the rotation.  It may also require a handle on the flywheel to help the rotation get started.  I want this to be simple using off the shelf parts.  The flywheel could be six feet in diameter if necessary (big enough to do the job, but small enough to fit through a doorway).   Used to live on an acreage but have retired to a subdivision, therefore, solar and wind power are out. If this would work, it would provide consistent power (we seem to have several brown outs or "winks" in power), give me something to do everyday and be good for my health.

The alternative idea is to run several (maybe as many as 40) of those small dc generators (that do maybe 300 watts at 2000 rpm) through an elaborate pulley and (probably) serpentine belt system to accomplish the same thing.

I am admittedly no good when it comes to mechanical things.  But, my wife and I have built two houses over the years (the two story Victorian we built withstood straightline winds of 106 mph for over twenty minutes with no cracking of drywall and we only lost three shingles.  We lost over two dozen 50-60 foot trees, and our neighbors had water running down the inside of their walls.  Apparently we did something right.  Oh, by the way, I got a D- on a birdhouse in high school industrial arts class years before.  So I am capable of learning.  I just need someone to explain to me why this idea won't work.  Thanks for your help and advice--believe me, I appreciate it.    

CLOSED to further comments. Question addressed. Research needed.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:29:35 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: pedal power 5-10kw
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:51:43 PM »
"I am admittedly no good when it comes to mechanical things. "

You said it.

You seem to have no concept of power or energy or the slightest idea of flywheels or anything else.

If you have reached retirement age without understanding any of this I would look for something else to occupy your time.

As you say man power can not manage more than 1/4 hp and even then for only a few seconds. One hp is 746W so you are only looking at a figure in the low hundreds of watts. Nothing you do with levers gears flywheels or anything else is going to change this. You are never going to get figures in the kW.

I am not even sure that you understand the difference between energy and power. Energy is time related but the result comes in kWh not kW, so doing things over time is not going to increase the available power level.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:51:43 PM by Flux »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: pedal power 5-10kw
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:52:57 PM »
Some of it sounds like "OU", the 40 generator thing.  I think you just don't know better, but if 200W of leg muscles make 200W then that's it.  200W is only 200W, no matter what you do with it.

Pulleys and/or flywheels won't make 200W into more than 200W either.

The "generate 10-15 kw in 2-3 hours" has no meaning.  

I need 4 feet of gasoline.  The temperature is $8.  I have a rope an acre long.

Google search the board for pedal, gear, and OU.

More than you can read in a week.

G-

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:52:57 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller