Author Topic: pma ground  (Read 1416 times)

lookrent

pma ground
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »
hello everyone,my question maybe a repeat but I could not find the info I wanted by searching.I have a delco pma from wind blue. my question is do I have to run a groung wire from the alt case down the tower to either earth or batt ground? the alt. has a single batt. + connector and a 3 wire a/c connector. thanks

Pretty vague. Maybe one of the users can pry out enough information to sort it out. Did you try to ask the people who sold it to you? [First logical step] Do you have a link to the unit they sell? Do you feed AC or DC down the tower, etc?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:49:36 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: pma ground
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:26:08 AM »
Just pollished my crystal ball, no.

Sounds like a made over auto style alternator, since it now has PM's the bat+ would be redundant, so the 3 A.C. wires are your output rectified elsewhere.

ops I just noticed a small crack in my crystal ball but the info is probally right anyway.

allan down under

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:26:08 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:40:30 AM by vawtman »

lookrent

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
sorry if i was too vague it is a delco unit converted by wind blue for wind gen use I did contact them and have not got a response. the small amount of info with the alternator indicated you have a choice to use the main batt+ as a d/c output or the pigtail (looks like a trailer light plug) for a d/c output and can rectify later down the line.the manufacture doesnt specify if I need a seperate ground cable.I have the tower ready but not the cable yet.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:21:36 AM by lookrent »

PeterAVT

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
Delco alts use a negative ground to the case, so the case of the alt should go to the batt -. The positive terminals obviously go to the batt +. As for an "earth ground" you could always ground it at the batt with a short chunk of wire into a metal stake driven into the ground, but I don't think its critical.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:38:29 PM by PeterAVT »

Woodgear

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
 This is cool, I find someone out there doing the exact same thing Im doing.

I wont be much help cause I have the same question. I wasnt sure so I used a 12/3

outdoor wire with ground, useing AC That way there is less power loss coming down from the tower I havent hooked it up yet to the Rectifier or charge controller.

I would like to here more about your system cause its just like mine and Im new at this wind turbine thing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:06:57 PM by Woodgear »

lookrent

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
My gen unit is up and running (such as it is) I guess doing research on your own site is better than using on line wind maps is best because my turbine doesnt run very offen. i have it hooked to a delco alternator diode rectifier but no battery.I am thinking about taking it down and selling off the parts.I am working on a solar aray and it looks more promising. good luck with your set up.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:32:48 PM by lookrent »