Author Topic: ever thought of fan clutch instead of volvo hub?  (Read 1016 times)

lookrent

ever thought of fan clutch instead of volvo hub?
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:38 PM »
I see alot of info and postings about using volvo rotor/hubs to build an axial flux alt. has anyone ever considered using a fan clutch hub from a semi truck? they are mounted with a heavy duty bracket,have 2 rotating parts with a air pressure activated clutch.It looks like it would be well suited to a wind gen.....thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:04:38 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: ever thought of fan clutch instead of volvo hu
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »
Dear lookrent, I'm still fairly new, but from my research, the magnets should have a steel backing thick enough that a metal paperclip held to the back of it will not stick.

After completing an axial-flux wind-gen, it is also apparently useful to be able to adjust the air-gap to use the optimum setting for your particular type of wind.

Spacing the magnets farther away from the stator will allow it to start spinning in a lighter wind, but it will make less power once spinning.

Adjusting the gap closer (where the magnet field [flux?] is stronger), it will make more power once spinning, but will require a stronger wind to get it to start-up.

If you already have a heavy truck fan clutch and would like to try this, please take pictures and post the results, as even a weak wind-gen can be informative for other new enthusiasts.

The multi-bladed radiator fan has been tried, and even a modest and simple 3-blade with  longer more slender blades will produce more power (or so I'm told)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:09:02 PM by spinningmagnets »