Author Topic: Reading to much and getting confused  (Read 1040 times)

bend1

Reading to much and getting confused
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »
I have worked out most of the details for the tower, motor, furling,blades and other mechanical items. Now the electronics part I'm getting confused on. I have been reading Wooferhounds post about his 2 stage dump and then on to Ghurds circuity and some other peoples post and what they did . So If I want a 12 volt system to charge a bank of batteries. I will need to know when the batteries are low so that they are not damaged by the inverter.  And I need to know when the batteries are charged so that the mill does not over charge them. So then do I need a LVD and A Dump controller for this? And do you need to regulate the incoming voltage of the mill ? I know I have more reading to do but its been a long day ( very little sleep) and I haven't been using the correct terminlogy in my searchs to find the answers (working on it). I hate having to ask question that you guys have answered many times before.  Sorry and thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:44:12 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Reading to much and getting confused
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »
bend1;

Come on over to IRC we will sort your terminology out real time.

Be patient if you do sometimes the paid staff are out behind the barn smoking or something. Just tell them I sent you and it shouldn't be too tough to help you get a toehold for building on.

Just click the "IRC" in my signature line.

Or check out

http://oneota.net/~teejaydubya/IRC/chatpage.html

for instructions.

Tom

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:54:12 PM by TomW »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »
LOL :v)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:20:28 PM by vawtman »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »
The battery will always try to keep the voltage going into it, at the voltage level of the battery itself. The battery will be sitting at 13 volts, and your Wind/Solar power will be 22 volts open circuit. As soon as you connect your open circuit Wind/Solar power to the battery, POOF ,everything is now running at 13 volts. It pretty much doesn't matter what voltage you want to charge the battery with, Your genny may be making 65 volts open, but connect it to the battery and then everything is at the battery voltage.

What happens to all that extra voltage? It's converted to amps and that is where you start to worry about your stator burning up. Once your wind genny reaches Cut-In (battery voltage) the measured volts will be the battery voltage which should be increasing slowly as it is charging. As your genny speeds up past cut-in the voltage doesn't increase, but the amps do. Under most circumstances you don't have to worry about the voltage of the device you are connecting to the battery, your worry will be with the ability of the charging device to deliver the Amps without burning up.

When Charging a battery try to keep the current going in to less then 10% of the capacity of the battery. For Example: a 100 amphour battery should be charging at 10 amps or less.

A LVD (Low Voltage Disconnect) isn't really necessary as long as you can keep checking your voltage yourself and just turn the power off to your appliances when you see the voltage getting too low.

It is possible to do without the Dump Load Controller too, but it's a little bit more tricky. You just keep up with your battery voltage and if you think it's getting too high, turn on some lights or any other load to use up the power before it can overcharge the battery. If your system is unattended at all, you will need some kind of Dump Controller to keep from cooking your battery.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:35:30 AM by wooferhound »

bend1

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »
Thanks that helps a lot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:29:26 PM by bend1 »