Author Topic: Outback Inverter with 24VDC wind genny  (Read 918 times)

soyer38301

Outback Inverter with 24VDC wind genny
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
I have a hypothetical (or at least in my feeble little mind...)

Let's say you have a 24VDC wind generator. You also have an Outback 2524 inverter that takes its feed from the batteries...can you charge the batteries directly from the genny and feed the inverter? Wouldn't the feed from the genny also feed the inverter since both would be directly conected to the batteries?

What controls would be needed (other than disconnects and fuses)? In my mind a charge controller would not do much good as I am thinking low AH battery bank so I can feed the Outback more often, so I really don't want/need diversion control?

I guess the real question is -- how do you keep the wild DC voltage away from the inverter?

Just trying to get some education here...

Thanks.

Scott

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:06:15 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Outback Inverter with 24VDC wind genny
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
The battery feeds the inverter, that is the only thing that is sufficiently low impedance to do that. The mill can't feed the inverter direct but whatever it is producing will be deducted from the batteries contribution to the inverter.

Say that the inverter is taking 60A and the turbine at any instant is giving 30A this means that at that instant the battery is only supplying 30A.

You can't get away with tiny batteries they must be capable of supplying the full inverter load for a significant time. On a very windy day you may get away with this approach but on most days it just won't work.

You only need a charge controller if the batteries are fully charged, if you watch the load manually a charge controller is just a luxury.

If you use small batteries then the chances are that they will be charged most of the time and the charge controller becomes more essential as you will not have the time to deal with the load situation manually unless you have a full time job acting as a charge controller.

The minimum battery size is dictated by the load you want from the inverter when the turbine is producing nothing or very little. If you can hold off not using the inverter on these days then a smaller battery would be adequate but a minimum size is needed to handle the peak inverter current without damaging the battery or tripping the inverteron low battery volts.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:35:37 AM by Flux »

soyer38301

Re: Outback Inverter with 24VDC wind genny
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:57 AM »
Thanks. I was afraid I was "over thinking it"...but you answered and confirmed what I thought.

I appreciate it.

Scott

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:42:57 AM by soyer38301 »