Author Topic: 36/38 dc volt generators  (Read 2388 times)

MARK VA7SMR

36/38 dc volt generators
« on: September 27, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
I have a 36 volt 2 wheel scooter I would like to build a portable generator using a chainsaw engine powered generator to charge the batteries and run the bike when low voltage occours. are there automotive alteanotors/generators modifiable or easier aquirable equiptment for the job of my hybrid scooter? Mark
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 07:53:42 PM by (unknown) »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Re: 36/38 dc volt generators
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »
I assume this is something you wish to take places and recharge your scooter. They can be made with direct drive to an altinator or as a belt driven altinator. Much of this would be determined by the size of the chain saw or altinator. You will need to find the rpms of the chainsaw and match the rpms needed for the altinator's best power output. Pulleys can be sized to aquire the needed speed for the altinator. You will need to build a guard to cover the belt. Using the same clutch system add a pulley to where the chain sprocket is. This will let you use it to cut wood by removeing the pulley portion. Check the voltage on the altinator and make sure the regulator is sized right. Just an idea. I used the leather shoelaces from my boots and put them on the chainsaw where the chain was.  I had left my lights on and had a dead battery up in the mountains. Ran my chainsaw to charge my battery. 1 hr later I had enough power to start my truck.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:55:26 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

arbela47000

Re: 36/38 dc volt generators
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
One hour of chainsawing equivalent?  You must have gone through a lot of fuel.

I seems to me that for this scooter, it would work best to run it straight off the chainsaw powerhead.  The lowest-end Stihl (the 170) has 1.7hp.  It runs the chain through trees at about 45 mph, so I expect it could move a person pretty quickly.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:08:37 PM by arbela47000 »