Author Topic: Coil counts, not raps?  (Read 821 times)

hamitduk

Coil counts, not raps?
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
Ok, there are, from what I have seen, two major schools of thought, one 9 stators coils (no overlap, stators sold here) and Lenz's 18 coil stators (overlapping coils), Yes I understand there is a lot of gray between them.  I have read a lot, but what are the benefits/cons of each?

Lots of copper verse little, should the coils over lap the Magnet, bigger than, smaller than, the size relationship between the magnet and the coil (not raps)?

I understand that a filled coil, will cause the shaft to cog more, but improve the field, so more coils closer cogging? More cog steps per rotation? More resistance to rotation? More torque need to rotate?

Thank for the help so far

Hami

P.S. K.I.S.S = Keep it Small Stupid, for a given size, keep the coils as small as possible? tight rapped?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:51:13 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: Coil counts, not raps?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
a alternator won't have cogging unless there is iron in the stator. a duel rotor doesn't have cogging whether built using the 3/4 method or windstuff ed's method because there is never any iron in the stator. the 3 coils to 4 magnets method is easier to build because you can just lay out your coils in a mold wire them up and poor casting material around them to form a stator with windstuff ed's method you have to manufacture a form with slots to hold the coils in position out of some non magnetic material ed usually uses a form of plastic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:41:37 AM by kurt »