Author Topic: Is this motor a candidate for a Zubbly conversion?  (Read 996 times)

cico0815

Is this motor a candidate for a Zubbly conversion?
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
Hi!

I'm just a Newbie here and to the theme windpower itself (English also not that good .. sorry)!

I would like to build a savonius turbine next spring and I would like to convert a ansynchron three phase motor into a pmg! Would that be possible?

I don't know what information you would need to answer my question therefore I added a picture of the plate that sits on the motor here:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/10/4c/689c_1.JPG

Is there anything you might also need to tell me if this motor is useful or if it is necessary to rewind it?

Best regards and I hope you could help me here!

Heiko

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 05:20:11 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
The picture...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
Heres the image you linked to:

Tom

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:37:22 AM by TomW »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Is this motor a candidate for a Z conversion?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
Welcome to Fieldlines.

I tried posting yesterday, but I don't think it got through.  Anybody else trying to respond to this posting will have to edit the line with the subject in it because the software thinks it's too long.  (Sorry Cico, it's not your fault).

What I said yesterday, briefly, is that the motor, when converted, will probably not be appropriate for a savonius turbine.  Although there is some useable torque in a Sav, they don't turn fast enough.  A strong wind would be necessary just to reach cut-in speed.

Motor conversions do work well when mounted to a HAWT, because both need to turn at 200-500 RPM.  If you were to do something like that, you could expect at least 200Watts from your converted motor, perhaps even 400W.  It depends greatly on details inside the motor: how it's wired, sizes of bearings, size of the rotor, and so on.

If you want to give more pictures, I could tell you a bit more about converting it.  Then you can decide if you want to go ahead with it or not, and if you are interested in a HAWT turbine, instead of a VAWT.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:58:55 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
Steven;

Anybody else trying to respond to this posting will have to edit the line with the subject in it because the software thinks it's too long.

Commonly known as the QTB "Quotes in Title Bug"

I removed them so its good now. Just another bug in Scoop.

Tom

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:55:54 PM by TomW »

cico0815

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
Hello Steven,

I've got a gearbox that could be attached to the motor (it is a 1:15) and it is absolut possible to turn it by hand.

Would that be enough to generate a bit more power than just 200W? We have wind speed that are commonly around 4 m/s.

What detail pictures do you need? Photos from the inside of the motor? The coils the anchor?

Sorry for any bad english ... I didn't use my english for quite a while! :-/

Best,

Heiko

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:02:36 PM by cico0815 »