Author Topic: wind speed or RPM needed to trickle charge a battery  (Read 1738 times)

aflan7

wind speed or RPM needed to trickle charge a battery
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Hello everybody...I am on the search for information about the minimum RPM that I need to trickle charge a 12 volt battery...am I on the right track asking this forum or does anyone have a suggestion which forum could help me...I have an idea that may get me off the power grid!!Sorry if this is too simple a question!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:08:16 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: wind speed or RPM
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
 Minimum RPM of what? or do you mean voltage?

allan

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:24:24 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

aflan7

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
to charge up a 12 volt battery I would presume you would need minimum number of volts and a generator/alternator creating those volts at a certain RPM
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:30:08 PM by aflan7 »

aflan7

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:12:02 PM »
Sorry if this sounds niave but I have an idea to create motion/revs using wind a different way...I have no idea about the application to power generation but need some stats on the pure mechanics of this process...I am only interested in the design of the turbine...not the electronics...and thanks for getting back...from an Aussie that wants to change the way we think and create
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:12:02 PM by aflan7 »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:39 AM »
Still a very broard question, however the point at which a battery begins to charge is once the charging source exceeds the battery volts. So lets say your 12v battery is at 12.5volt, then any voltage greater than that will cause your battery to begin charging.

If you are using a wind generator you will need a blocking diode that will stop the battery back feeding the turbine so that's an about 0.6v drop. So for the example I gave your wind turbine would have to produce 12.6 +0.6v =13.2 to begin charging the battery.

Now wind speed, that's another how long is a piece of string, but most turbine start producing at 3m/s, you could build a generator to do what ever you want, but if you use a ready made generator you have an abatory figure set for you.

Google this board for "power of wind" to obtain how much energy/power is in the wind at a given speed.

You realy need to explain your project to receive specific advice.

Where in OZ are you, i'm in S/W WA.

allan down under

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:56:39 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

aflan7

Re: 3m\sec
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 12:27:04 AM »
Thanks for this...I had an idea that it would be around that speed...I am only at the conceptualisation stage and just need that sort of data to start the process...my idea?? I think it is a good one and will get back when I need further tecxhnical support...I am in SE Queensland...but one day hope to get to WA...my brother in law is in Mandura ..calcite engineer and wants me to visit... so we may get together at some stage
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:27:04 AM by aflan7 »