Author Topic: It's Working but...A few Questions To Make it Better  (Read 1086 times)

packman1234

It's Working but...A few Questions To Make it Better
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »
Hi All

It's been a work in progress all summer long. I've had it spinning with just a 12v bulb for the load for about a month. I hooked up the battery last night and have a few questions.....

I ran the 8ga wire from the gen to a 40amp 600 volt diode. From there it goes to the batt pos. The neg runs to the battery. I cant quite figure how to wire a fuse and a switch with the 8g heavy wire. I have no charge controller as of yet. What size switch and fuse would I use for this and where would I buy them??(the treadmill motor is rated at 2.5hp 3200rpm 15amp).

I still dont know if this setup will work for the longhaul because of the rpm's needed for cut-in. Last night the winds were at 20mph+ and it put out 13-15 volts when I checked it. This only happens in a good wind gust and is never constant. Will this variable increase in voltage charge the battery over time? The battery was at 12.66 when I set it up and it remains at that voltage the next day.

I'll add a few more photos to make the setup clear.. I cant use the 400w inverter until I know I will get some charging eventually!

If anyone has any diagrams on the wiring, I would appreciate it..

Thanks for your time....I learned it all right here!!

Bob

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:50:10 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: It's Working but...A fe
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »
You don't say what it is but if it doesn't blow a bulb directly connected to it I don't see much hope of charging a battery.

With any normal wind generator a bulb will not survive the first breeze above cut in.

Unless you have some reactance limited alternator like a Sturmey Archer dynohub I can only assume you never reach 12v in the highest wind.

Need lots more information to know what you are up to.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:29:32 AM by Flux »

packman1234

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
Flux

I thought I said it was a 12v bulb(an aircraft landing light for the interior of a custom van)

Hows' that??

No it never blew the bulb while it was connected.. As the genny spins, the bulb would start lighting very dim until it reached cut-in..then it would stay on full bright until the blades slowed down.

I also stated that when it reaches cut-in, I'm getting 13-15 volts. Why was my post so difficult for you to understand? I really tried to be very specific...Sorry for that!!

Can you help me by reading my other post to see what I'm up to?

Thanks Again

Bob

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:16:42 PM by packman1234 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 07:02:27 PM »
You said it was "a 12v bulb(an aircraft landing light for the interior of a custom van)"

That in itself implies a load of misunderstandings.

Aircraft are 28V, for surplus parts that I commomnly see.

A car headlight is about 60W.

I won't shave with a 60W bulb, but an aircraft could be expected to land with one?

I have been on tiny aircraft, and the lights were a lot brighter than a car headlight.

How many amps could the "12v bulb(an aircraft landing light for the interior of a custom van)" handle before it blew?

I have a 6V flashlight bulb.  How many amps can it take before it blows?

A custom van bulb is nothing like a aircraft landing light.

I have a 12V flashlight, but I sure as shooting wouldn't get in a plane at night that lands with that kind of light.

Maybe one of the licensed pilots here will have a hint as to what is required for a landing light.

I have a long glass silver ended fuse.  How many amps can it take before it blows?

I have a big red inverter, and the box said it was enough for a TV with DVD player.

My wife's car is blue.  What size tires does it take?

All we know is the bulb was 12V, and the windmill does not make enough power to blow the bulb with the given conditions.

If the windmill made much over the amps the bulb could handle, the bulb would blow.

And if the bulb was directly connected to the bulb, it was being held back (nearly shorted).

All we know is the PVC bladed treadmill motor windmill makes a bulb glow, but not enough power to blow it.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:02:27 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:23:01 AM »
Not sure where to begin on this one but you have given some useful information that helps to answer a similar question from Jimmy Z in the last few days.

If it needs 20 mph to reach cut in you are not going to be charging on many days. If it can't blow a bulb then the maximum output will be no more than the rating of that bulb ( seemingly unknown).

You say you aren't asking for much and this is rather fortunate as it seems as though you will get very little.

What can yo do to improve it? that is a different question. My guess would be to build some decent wooden blades ( or by some Jerry blades if still available).

The most useful thing for now would be to connect it to the battery ( without the bulb) and actually use an ammeter to see what these things really can produce.

Normal wind generators will not run a bulb direct without a battery to regulate the voltage. In low winds the bulb will prevent start up and as soon as it does start it will blow the bulb. The output in your case must be limited to less than the wattage of that bulb and the generator is likely very high resistance to even let it start up with a bulb as a load unless the wind is high.

You are new to this and it may seem simple but very few things involving wind power are simple.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:23:01 AM by Flux »

packman1234

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:05:48 AM »
Thanks Flux!!!

The bulb was from a custom van interior and had nothing to do with aircraft.(that's what we always called them cause they were so bright). It's 12v but nothing else on it as far as amperage or wattage. It uses a 1003 bulb.

I will try the ammeter test next and give you the results.

The battery is still at 12.66 volts and wont charge until wind gets up there..

What size would the wooden blades need to be? I have a woodshop and could easily make them.

Thanks Again

Bob

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:05:48 AM by packman1234 »

Tritium

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
A 1003 bulb is just slightly under 1A of current at 12.5VDC.

Thurmond

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:09:13 AM by Tritium »