Author Topic: Acceptable 12 volt cable run  (Read 945 times)

new2u

Acceptable 12 volt cable run
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:13 PM »
I was wondering what the acceptable limit would be for a 12 volt cable run.

I know there is a limit to how long a cable can be from the source to the battery bank before you start to loose voltage/current.

If its say 50 feet would it better to convert it to AC current and then back to DC at the battery bank?

larry

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:26:13 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Acceptable 12 volt cable run
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
This is far too vague to answer.

Is it for wind or solar and what sort of power level are we looking at?

There is no particular advantage with using ac unless you increase the voltage in the link. If it is wind then you start with ac anyway. For solar you have a slightly different problem.

For a small installation 50ft is not very far and to use transformers to raise voltage would cost a fortune and the overall efficiency would be worse than even modest cable.

If you are looking at kilowatts then the cable cost for modest loss does get a bit heavy at 12v.

With wind if you start out with the right ideas the cable run needn't be a problem at all, you need some losses to avoid stall and you can save a lot on the cost of cable if you start with a more efficient alternator. The increase in magnet and copper cost of the alternator can be largely offset by savings in cable and you have an alternator that will stand more overload.

For solar the loss is more of a problem but 50 yards is still not beyond reason.

12v has lots of limitations and is best left to small systems but as long as you keep things small the volt drop can be managed. If cable loss is a serious issue then better to avoid 12v rather than use fancy schemes. The only exception may be a high voltage mill with transformer and rectifier at the battery. Stepping up from a low voltage mill and transforming down again is hardly ever justified.

For solar at 12v on long cable runs then use something like a MX60 if the system is large ( not worth it below about 500W).

Probably not much help, shouldn't have guessed your question in the first place.

flux

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:42:00 AM by Flux »

mettleramiel

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »
I currently have to run my solar panels about 60' from the batteries. I have about 150w with 10awg wiring to carry it. I was a little worried that it would be too far and the drop would be too much, especialy since the packaging for some of the panels said that you would extend to supplied wires by an additional maximum of 20' without any line loss but I ended up only losing about 1 volt. I was more worried when I added a new panel that had a VOC of 17 rather than 21 like my others. It, however, turned out to work just as good as all the others.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:18:02 AM by mettleramiel »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:23:16 PM »
you are losing aprox 8.3 watts with a one volt drop.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:23:16 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF