Author Topic: Battery wiring???  (Read 910 times)

Saltwater

Battery wiring???
« on: December 14, 2008, 06:34:49 AM »
Here is how I understand this, please correct me if I'm wrong...

If I set up a 24 volt system and use 6 volt batteries, I need 4 batteries wired in series.

So, I want more batteries for more power.  If I wire up 4 more to it (in series), then I have 48 volts, more than the 24 volt system I want.

Can a person wire up 2, or more, seperate "banks" totalling 24 volts each, then wire the banks in parallel?  That would leave 24 volts, just increase the amps right?

Sorry if this has been asked and replied to before, I did a search on here but, apparently typed the question wrong.  I'm trying to figure out a good way to design a system without screwing it up.

Jeff

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:34:49 AM by (unknown) »

independent

Re: Battery wiring???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
Yep you will be wiring 4 series 2 parallel 6v batteries.

Two lots of 4 series batteries in parallel, paralleling the pos's and the negs' of the two lots of four six volt cells.

There is a bit of info on mixing batteries of different age. But that is another issue..

hth
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:00:17 AM by independent »

Saltwater

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:12:54 AM »
Thank you.  I thought that was the way it worked, just wanted to make sure.  I don't really plan on mixing old and new in series.  I was thinking of adding a bank, then a little later, adding another and joining with the original in parallel.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:12:54 AM by Saltwater »

tanner0441

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:13:50 PM »
How much later?  Batteries of different ages..

Batteries of different capacities ie AH and various ages, will mix and don't normaly cause too much of a problem, but if you have a poor battery anywhere in the system it will cause a problem.  There are lots of aticles and postings on here about batteries...

Brian

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:13:50 PM by tanner0441 »

Saltwater

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
Brian,

I was going to do the first connection with the minimum quanity of batteries.  Then, after a few months either add more or stay with the original.  It would not be more than 6 months.

Jeff

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:29:33 PM by Saltwater »

tanner0441

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »

If in that 6 months your batteries have not had too many deep discharge cycles, or been left in a discharged state for long. I am in a poor wind area so I get too few days of good wind, if I run my batteries down and the wind is dropping I imediately put it on a charger and bring it right up again.  I am lucky in the fact I have a marine charger designed for looking after deep cycle batteries, and I was surprised to see how fast it charges them before leveling off.

I have 2 12V 110AH CRX and 1 12V 95AH AGM batteries not recomended but it works.

I have a 110AH on my car and I was thining of swapping it for the 95AH I cant see it making any difference on the car.

I have been offered an 85AH marine battery which I don't have much use for so I might deliberately abuse and see how long it takes to kill it, taking notes...

I am a believer in the try it and if it hurts too much don't do it again.

Brian

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:47:36 PM by tanner0441 »