Author Topic: I am building my first wind turbine. Please Help!!  (Read 840 times)

novice

I am building my first wind turbine. Please Help!!
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »
I am building my first ever windmill generator! I have no mechanical ability, but I am very creative, and driven, and I may be able to get a friend to help me. I intend to keep my first design simple. what I intend to do is get a used altinator off a 1.3 Kw generator and use that as my generator. This should be already designed to hook directly up to the grid and save me alot of trouble. However as a novice I have many questions. When you respond I would really apreciate simple terminoligy. If you could pretend you are talking to a three year old that would be great!

1) How to I design the fan blades. What factors affect the length, width, shape ( I should use a air foil right?), thickness, material( PVC maybe cut out of PVC pipe?, tilt of the blades,ect? Also what is TSR?

2) How do you build a Yaw Drive?

3) What factors affect to design of the tail (sharkfin,tail vien,ect.)(whatever name you choose to use.)

4) What are some examples of fail safe devices I can use to keep the generator from being burned out in high winds?

5) Would a centrifical clutch work as a fail safe and what type of device should I take it off of for use on my windmill turbine? (dirt bike, chain saw, ect)

6) What are some ideas that come be used for used parts that I can get cheaply for my tower?

7) How does the length, size, thicknes of a crankshaft effect torque?

8) What are some ideas for keeping your power line from tangling?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you guys could give me! Its you guys that will make this possible for alot of us newbies. Darkfigh@yahoo.com, (216) 903-5209

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:22:20 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: I am buildin!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
Try reading here for a month as a cooling off period. When you have a better idea of what you want ask again. I don't like being negative but you are positively dangerous at present.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:01:08 AM by Flux »