Author Topic: water wheel powered wind turbine?  (Read 910 times)

ej

water wheel powered wind turbine?
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
I have a waterwheel on the property where I work which is about 5' around. It is powered by a stream and can be slowed down or sped up depending on valved water flow. I was wondering if the axle of the waterwheel was connected to a turbine that usually is turned by the wind would that work to produce electricity? The waterwheel is close to some buried electric lines that run between a meter on the street and a garden feature that uses electric during our open season. I was hoping that it could be hooked up to an inverted for credit when we are not using electric and if easier maybe just run the pumps at the garden feature. all we run is a swimming pool pump.

If anyone knows another way to get juice from said wheel that could also be helpful but every hydro person I have spoken to wants me to divert water thru their hydro turbine.

Hopefully this is clear to someone and hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,

EJ
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:31:22 PM by (unknown) »

richhagen

Re: water wheel powered wind turbine?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
There are several examples which have been posted here where water wheels have been connected to dual rotor axial alternators running at fairly low speeds.  Their was an example I recall in Africa of a wheel about the size of yours.  The alternator for that project was huge.  

Found it:  http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/5/28/122237/355

the alternator for that project was 4 feet in diameter, and the water wheel was much larger than yours, although I am a little sketchy on some of its operating details.  

The  power available at your specific location would determine the size and cost of the alternator required.  If you plan to feed the power back to your electric utility, in most, if not all juresdictions, you would have to do it in a method and through a device approved of by them, and some research on your part will likely be required to figure if it can be done and how to make it happen. Rich

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:04:00 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: water wheel powered wind turbine?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »
Depends on how much power you have available, if you have low rpm but lots of torque, perhaps the cheapest grid connect would be a geared induction motor. This could be driven directly from the wheel's axle. You would need/ like at least 60 rpm (1 turn per second) to get a realistic gear ratio happening into a 4 to 6 pole induction motor.

For more ideas on this look at the breezy5.5 site, and replace their blades with your turbine.... both about the same speed I think.

...........oztules

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:51:20 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia