Author Topic: puttin neos in a treadmill can?  (Read 1228 times)

Electron Pump

puttin neos in a treadmill can?
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:54:58 AM »
  I had had an idea to use an unused treadmill motor to ballance my blades for my "260." Well of coarse this wont work with magnetic cog. So I busted the ceramic mags out of it. Well I was sittin in the shop looking at my shop-frig with all the hard drive mags on it and the treadmill motor sitting there mag-less. I've been researching a induction conversion and puttin mags on a rotor and I thought, why not a stator? In the walls of the treadmill can.

I thought I might turn down the rotor a little bit and be able to stack the 2 poles of harddrive mags good and fat down the walls inside the treadmill can. I just thought the more powerful magnetic field might do a little more than it did before.

That motor with a set of pvc blades did charge some, in a 35mph wind with 45mph gusts. This motor is a 120v, 7000rpm, 21amp treadmill motor.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:54:58 AM by (unknown) »

jlt

Re: puttin neos in a treadmill can?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
I cant tell you any good news for your treadmill motor. I tried using neo mags on a old winco 6volt that i had laying around.but it cogged  very hard it would put out 12 volts in a stiff wind.but i had to short out the diode to get it spinning.           I would use your mags to make a double rotor axial.and get rid of cogging.   i have seen some good ones posted .on here
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:28:11 AM by jlt »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
I tried it in a large car hearter blower motor.  It was worse.  A lot worse.

I was a long time ago.  Seems like factory version made 6~8V, and neos made 2V.

I figure there were several problems.

Much less surface area.  Can't get many pieces of HD neos in there next to each other.

The space between the like poled neos let some flux circle back (short?).

Much larger 'air gap' between the magnets and rotor.  That is always a killer.

The can material was not strong enough to contain the flux, which I believe is just as bad as a large distance from the neo to the laminations.

The ceramics were weaker, but it was a tighter fit, with more surface area.

G-

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:28:32 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Electron Pump

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
  Yeah, that makes sence to me. I've got those mags I've collected that I want to do something with. My A/C conversion, I'm going to buy speciffic mags for so I dont want to use them there. Ahhh, I'll find something.

Thankx guys. Have a good weekend.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:30:54 AM by Electron Pump »