Author Topic: altenator ?  (Read 886 times)

johnyb

altenator ?
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
Hello all by the way I'am very grateful for this discussion board.To my ? A few

days back a gentlman asked  about wiring A stator in regards to heat resistence. And flux answered his ? very well.But when he answered the ?he said thataxial flux alternator can not opperate at peak performance for very long with out burning out.It sounded like he was talking about minutes and thats why its ideal for wind because the speed fluxuation in the wind. now I'am worried building the ten foot diameter 12 volt system from the field lines site.But i maid one change I'am using n50 2x1x1/2 mag gausse factor 13000.my concern is that gause factor i've doubled the flux in the air gap compared to n45 mags with 6400 gausse.It now sounds like I doubled the chances of burning out my stator.I thought more flux more rpm's more power/12 volt less resistance it now sounds like i could burn out my stator at 4 or 5 hundred rpm's is there a formula to use to figure out estimated rpm's for possible stator burn out .and how long u can hold that rpm's By the way 14 gauge 2 in hand 36 turns 9 coil 24 mags I have 48 more of these mags.Thanks for yuor help.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:28:40 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: altenator ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
No don't panic, things are not that bad. N50 probably manages 13kgauss in a closed circuit but N45 is over 12kg. At the  working point in a gap you will be about half Br so you are going from  6400 gauss to 6500 gauss so no big difference, In reality the difference between N45 and N50 is tiny. The only difference it will make is that you will reach cut in a little earlier and you will run a little bit slower all the way up the wind speed range. This will most likely get you running more into stall and you will have less output for most of the wind speed range so the risk of burn out is actually likely to be less unless you do something to compensate for the stall.

Going from something like N35 to N50 would be much more significant and a winding for n35 would stall badly with N50. To overcome this you could wind with less turns and have the ability to use thicker wire with a higher current rating. You can gain power with better grades of magnet but not without design changes.

Given lots of information and lots of experience you can calculate fairly accurately the current into a battery at a given speed. What is far less easy is calculating temperature rise and the likelihood of burn out. Cooling depends on too many factors.

Even if you measure temperature rise on bench tests you still have no real idea how much better the cooling is under wind conditions and the duty cycle of rated power under wind conditions changes from day to day as well as from site to site.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:41:58 PM by Flux »

johnyb

Re: altenator ?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
I'am wiping my forehead and saying who thank you
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:59:51 PM by johnyb »