Author Topic: Blade RPM  (Read 823 times)

Tudorbug

Blade RPM
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
Folks:

Is there commercially available a device that will measure shaft rpm for a set of blades while mounted up on a tower?  (I think of a device used on an expensive bicycle to measure wheel rpm and thus miles per hour consisting of a source on a spoke and an adjacent sensor on a fork of a wheel.)  I would prefer to purchase one rather than cobble one together myself.

But, if not commercially available is there a design that I could use to fabricate one with?

I thank you, David

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:29:33 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: Blade RPM
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »
 You mentioned a bike computer. Most of them do not directly show RPM's but this one does, and it's cheap.

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.bicycle computer.

Extend the wires, and you're all set! of course you may have to get creative with the mounting..

I bought 3, one for my 'bent trike..

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:37:49 PM by zeusmorg »

imsmooth

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »
Why don't you check this out.  it should help out.

http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/wgpage5a.html

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:22:22 AM by imsmooth »

brokengun

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »
Whatever you do, don't use a wireless bicycle tachometer. I just used one today and the readings were severely effected by the magnetic field produced by the rotor magnets.

It's odd because those wireless ones are a bit more expensive and such, but the way they transmit data is just too sensitive. Definitely use a wired one if you decided to go down that path.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:44:55 PM by brokengun »

Tudorbug

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
Folks:

I am grateful for your helpful comments.  I had purchased two of the devices noted by Zuesmorg and then began to worry about extending the cable so far down the tower.  I was considering a wireless option when I read brokengun's comment so I won't go that route.

More study on extending cables will be needed.  We have a 20 foot tower at the moment.

Thank you very much, David

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:35:54 PM by Tudorbug »