Author Topic: how many batteries?  (Read 1098 times)

jkermath

how many batteries?
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:18:19 AM »
I'm just starting and beginning with a 6' wind generator to power a few things around the home.  How many batteries should I have for a good set up? I am planning on a 12' later. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:18:19 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: how many batteries?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
It will spin better without anything attached.

Seriously, you need to write a bit more of what you want to do. Powering 1 small LED is a bit different than powering a coffee pot.

Ron

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:31:12 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
     How much battery bank you need depends on how much power your turbine will consistently produce. If you are only in the planning stages and have not measured the output of your turbine yet you may want to hold off on batteries until you see how much electricity you can produce. When you are at that point you can re-ask your question with that pertinent information. When you get to the point where you can measure output, almost any old battery will do for testing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:06:55 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

jkermath

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 05:03:27 AM »
I am building a 400 watt generator for first time and powering outside decorative lighting around our home, total wattage about 140 watts, how many batteries should I have to begin my project? 2 or 3?

Next with a large system, I plan on a 12' generator, there is much discusson on the generator but not much on battery systems, we have a fairly large home and our electric usage is about 1,500 Kwh monthly. Just trying to recoup as much power as possible.

My kids try to be "DTE customer of the month each month"!

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:03:27 AM by jkermath »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
If you have grid power then you will struggle to even compete with wind power. The biggest factor is the battery cost. Unless you can get cheap batteries I doubt that you will break even. Probably best to use a small battery bank and revert to grid power when there is not much wind about. Large battery banks only make sense when you are off grid and even there is a maximum useful size and in low wind times you need back up ( even if it is solar).

Again much depends on your site, I suspect your 400W turbine may average about 60W if you steer clear of periods with days of no wind. If your load is intermittent at 140W you may be able to supply it most of the time with a modest battery bank.

Regarding 1500kWh monthly then your best option is to conserve, you will never supply that sort of thing cost effectively with anything requiring batteries. Power saving when on grid can only be effective with grid tie ( long pay back period) or something like water heating that doesn't have the cost of batteries and their frequent replacement. if you want to do it for fun or if you can get near free batteries then that is a different matter.

A large battery bank will cost a fortune. Small ones will be cycled more and have a shorter life. Batteries wear out if you use them and they die if you don't use them, the best compromise is just enough to do what you want with a modest cycling under normal conditions. If you must have back up for long windless periods expect to pay the earth.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:37:54 PM by Flux »