Author Topic: Power required to turn turbine  (Read 1043 times)

paulrogers6

Power required to turn turbine
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:25:28 PM »
Dear All

Quick question - hopefully with a quick answer?

If I have a a turbine connected to an 80AH battery does it require less torque/power/energy (ultimately wind) to turn it compared to the same turbine connected to say a 120AH battery?

Based on V = AR then the answer should be no but I think possibly I'm mixing my amps and amp hours up?  To my simple mind it seems bigger batteries should put more load on the turbine.

Can someone explain whether it's more, less or the same and if so why?

Thanks

Paul

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:25:28 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Power required to turn turbine
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:46:01 AM »
Keeping things very simple the power needed to turn a turbine depends on the power you take out of it.

The power out is charging current x battery volts. Things change slightly with battery volts ( state of charge) but in real life it makes little difference.

The current depends on the speed of the turbine and the circuit resistance. Battery internal resistance is so low that you can forget it irrespective of battery capacity.

Up to gassing volts the capacity of the battery has no effect on the charging current ( except in the case where the battery is far too small for the charging current available, which is not a normal situation and we might as well ignore it).

The only effect of a bigger battery is that it will charge longer at the same current before becoming fully charged and reaching gassing volts.

Yes you are mixing A and Ah.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:46:01 AM by Flux »

paulrogers6

Re: Power required to turn turbine
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »
Flux

Many thanks for the answer

Regards

Paul

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:32:59 AM by paulrogers6 »