Author Topic: I need to charge 2 12v batteries that are wired in series for a 24v cell  (Read 811 times)

cutlass1972

I have a big ups system that I picked up that has a bank of 12 volt gel cell batteries that are in a series parallel configuration that add up to 24V. I have a 12v 30 watt solar cell. My question is, is there a way to charge the 2 banks of 12v cells in parallel at 12v using my solar cell while they are wired in series?

I have thought I could possibly create a circuit with latching relays that will toggle from one battery bank to the other every couple of minutes so each bank is being charged independently, but this seems like a lossy inefficient way of doing things. I cannot think of a way to isolate each bank of batteries to charge them at 12v.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:43:51 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: I need to charge 2 12v batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
You could adapt this circuit....

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html

allan down under

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:32:03 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: I need to charge 2 12v batteries
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
Time sharing would work after a fashion but you may have trouble keeping batteries in step. It's a messy way but possible.

The other way is to use a boost converter but you would need to experiment. There may be commercial boost controllers but I haven't met one.

Probably cheaper to buy another panel than waste time building some doubtful contraption.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:25:07 AM by Flux »