Author Topic: T S R  (Read 1288 times)

Jason Wilkinson

T S R
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »
 hi, This was discussed before, and explanations given,but i still don't get it.

What is TSR, i don't want you to tell "TIP SPPED RATIO" or the speed of the blade tip as it pass through the air, i mean i read of you people designing a blade with a tsr of 7, or 6, but how do you determine that ,or how do you carve to achieve that is it the 3 or 4 degree away from the horizontal at the tip? explain it ,someone so i can understand

Jason
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:17:48 PM by (unknown) »

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
Re: T S R
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
I determine it by finding the rpm of the blade at a certain wind speed and calculating the "tip speed" and then I compare that to the wind speed, which gives you the TSR.  A higher blade pitch will give a lower TSR.  

It is hard to give an exact TSR based on blade pitch because every blade is different.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:39:57 PM by taylorp035 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »
"What is TSR,"

That is not your question but if you ask it you will get the usual answer.

"how do you carve to achieve that is it the 3 or 4 degree away from the horizontal at the tip? explain it ,someone so i can understand"

That is the question that you need the answer to.

if you have a calculator that happens to deal with your blade profile then you can enter the intended tsr and it will give you the setting angle at the tip and also at various other radii.

What profile the average calculator uses I don't know, I don't have enough faith in them to spend time looking at them.

I have something called "Bladecalc" or something that I bought some years ago that works for quite a few profiles and seems to work well enough.

Rather than spend money on that you might as well go to Hugh Piggot's site where he gives you a spreadsheet that does the same thing with the sort of profile you are likely to carve.

If you want to use fancy profiles that are far removed from the normal near enough too ClarkY that my attempts end up close to then you must find the angles from a calculator or other data for that specific profile. The setting angle for a given value of lift can be very different for the high lift profiles and some will have significant lift when set at negative angle.

If all else fails then you will have to decide on an angle of attack for a sensible lift/drag ratio from the aerofoil wind tunnel data then find your apparent wind direction using velocity triangles of wind speed and tip speed then set the angle of attack relative to the apparent wind direction. If you don't follow any of this don't worry, just use Hugh's spread sheet and copy his blade profile near enough. The clever high lift profiles won't get you anywhere unless you can match them to the load perfectly.

Hope this answers the question now we know what you really wanted.

flux

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:40:47 PM by Flux »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
Simplistically I would describe TSR as the blade tip speed relative to wind speed that is the best speed to obtain maximum power from the wind, and the point that your turbine is designed to be at good output. It is not a stable figure ie it changes, but is a design characteristic of matching blades to turbine.

allan down under

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:04:17 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
Thanks again Flux

Jason
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:47:48 PM by Jason Wilkinson »