Author Topic: Some help  (Read 1339 times)

freejuice

Some help
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question, but first a little background information for you folks to digest:

I live in South Carolina and I found my daily "Insolation Factor" for my area is 5.0-5.5

I have a monthly power useage of about 1050KW @ 14 cents a KW ( yes I'm looking to cut it down as much as possible...but Wifey and the child don't want to scorch in the summer time, and the summers here in SC are blistering hot, so they keeps the AC going just about all the time....groan.)

I'm looking to grid tie a solar system (I would like to avoid batteries) and reduce my power bill in half....to where I generate about 525-600 kw a month.

So my question is: What is a good system you folks have experience with, such as MPPT's, and how many panels....say 200 watts each? ( The stuff I will need to DIY)

Thanks,

Gavin

P.S.

I'm currently building a wind generator and will have that on a battery bank of golf cart batteries for when the grid does go down....for backup. The Grid I'am on is a REA, co-op... and it can go down in the summer, and 3-4 times in the winter for 2-3 day stretches when there is an ice storm or when snow pulls down pine trees etc.etc.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:11:05 PM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Some help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
I like to calculate this stuff out for fun.

You need 20 200 watt panels to save $75/month at 5 sun hours and .14/KWhr.

If your inverter, charge controller, wiring, mounting, and labor were all free, I calculated break-even on the order of 150 months, or around 12 years, just to pay for the panels.

I bet a complete system would calculate out at 20 to 25 years break-even at .14/KWhr. If electricity rates rise at approximately the same rate they have been, maybe you are back down to a 12 to 15 year payback, assuming zero maintenance.  

Now just for fun, if you had invested 20 grand into gold in 1997, you would have close to sixty thousand dollars today. $40,000 profit would pay for 44 years of $75/month electric bills.

If you're trying to save the world, have at it, but if you're trying to save money, there are better ways than grid-tied solar in my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:05:30 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:25:49 PM »
Volvo Farmer,

Why do you have to use facts and tell the truth? Don't you realize it is all about change and saving the world?

Ron

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:25:49 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

freejuice

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:34 AM »
Thanks Volvo farmer,

In a way I guess it is about change, but cold hard economics is usually the motivating force too! About the only thing that would be free would be me installing it.

Probably 14 cents a KW is really not that much in comparison to other folks..... hopefully there will be a breakthrough in which this stuff will eventually be cost effective, until then I can only dream of "sticking it to" the local REA

All the best,

Gavin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:10:34 AM by freejuice »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:48:32 AM »
Hey, don't give up so fast. You can have meaningful change AND stick it to the REA.

Just turn off that central AC unit attached to your house! You'll probably cut your electric bill in half, reduce your carbon footprint, lessen your impact on global warming, and have a nice warm feeling about the change you have made.

And it won't cost you a dime!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:48:32 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

imsmooth

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »
For an eastern exposure 12kw of panels will meet your total power requirements.  If southern exposure I think you can reduce this by a factor of 1.4.

If you want 1/2 of your energy then cut everything in half.

I have Sunnyboy grid-tie inverters: three 3.3kw units.

Look if your State offers any rebates.  I got in on one in NJ and my breakeven will be in a total of 4yrs.  Total cost of system was $100k; I only had to pay $40k with the rebate.  Further, I get to sell SRECs that bring in about 8k a year.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:51:30 PM by imsmooth »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:27:22 AM »
 Stick it to the grid by using your own power and less of the grid. Purchase a large battery bank and store any extra you make if there is any extra other than what you use. Be careful of the grid tie red tape and hidden clauses. The picture is made to look sweet as an incentive to go grid tie and that's because they want you to generate their power and then control the price back to you besides (thank you very much).

It's a race for the grid to get what they can until the make your own use your own concept really sets in. This is truely sticking it to the grid and most certainly their biggest concern.

Dave B.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:27:22 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
As some thing to look at I would look into ways to cut your power usage. The more you could cut your poer usage the less you will need to have to gen when the power is down. It is pretty hard to beat the grid power but prices will be going up. So anything you do know will benefit you down the road. When you get to retirement age it would be nice to be off grid and less dependent on the grid for power. Solar is always there and wind is right there. Tax breaks are ok but the city ordinences may not let you put up a wind gen. Look but don't ask to much. they get picky and greedy if they think they can control what you do and will find a way to charge you for your own independence. Also I would look into what type of trees are nearby because some of them discharge or release liquids in there leaves that can cover the solar panels with junk even take paint off cars. Years down the road these things will become a benefit for you and your family. Best of luck. Just some ideas to play with or pass by.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:46:09 AM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

freejuice

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
Thanks,

I will keep that in mind, especially the tree information! In fact I have a bunch of ( what people around here refer to as "Scrub Pines") that are about 40 ft tall, I  have been giving those tees the "Stink eye"  and was thinking of renting a bulldozer operator for a day or two and get rid of them...You cant even give the stuff away, I live on a hill and the surrounding area for about 270 degrees gently rolls away from me for a few miles. Yet I have about two acres thick with these trees and no one will touch them...loggers dont even want to mess with anything under 40 acres. ( all of this in regards to a wind turbine)

However I do have enough area cleared for solar, from about sunrise to sunset, not one thing would shadow a panel

No city ordiances to worry about, I live out in the county, their ordinances are a difference from night and day...thank goodness! :o)

Good call, on the retirement twist...yes it would be nice to be energy independent by that time....interesting angle...Ha I'm the tail end of the Baby Boom and Social Security which is the ripe "Plum" today will be a shriveled up raisin in 15 years.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:52:56 PM by freejuice »