Author Topic: Another Newbie Question  (Read 974 times)

bluehunter40

Another Newbie Question
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:29:50 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks for indulging me again. And yes I am still waiting on my book, if the mailman does not bring it tomorrow I am gonna pop a gasket.

Okay so I have read a couple of papers by Hugh Piggott, but I am not entirely clear on a few things.

I have read that smaller coil wire would be used to make a 24 volt system? Or as per the max amps in Hugh's paper, that smaller wire is for alternators with lower amps, I understand about the larger wire for to carry more amps with less resistance, but is it smaller wire with more turns that would be used for a slow or low output alternator?

And for the magnets, I see many posts with info about rewiring stators with thicker or more turns but nothing is said about the magnet size or strength. Also when I look at some of the completed units, the magnet does not seem to be large enough for the entire coil to be in the focused field, is that an efficiency loss?

Okay thanks, this should hold me over till my book gets here. Thanks for your patience

Tim    

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:29:50 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Another Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:35:47 AM »
I am not sure how much to answer here. Some of this seems basic but in some ways you seem to have hit some points that really need a deeper explanation. I am not even sure your book is going to answer all this but let's hope it does.

For a given power out then things are fairly simple. A low voltage winding needs thick wire to give high current. If you work at high voltage you need a lower current for the same power so you need thin wire. Things work out that if you double the volts you need double the turns and half the current. This means that you halve the wire csa and everything works out fine. The winding takes up the same space although you have more turns.

"And for the magnets, I see many posts with info about rewiring stators with thicker or more turns but nothing is said about the magnet size or strength. Also when I look at some of the completed units, the magnet does not seem to be large enough for the entire coil to be in the focused field, is that an efficiency loss? "

This is a deeper matter and I have good reason to understand what is puzzling you. There is much discussion here about wire size and number of turns and some of it is not helpful, it no doubt confuses you and to be honest I doubt that it helps the person asking the question.

Alternators for wind power have to be designed as a unit and unless the magnets, windings and blade size are all chosen to match the thing will work badly.

There is no point in worrying about what size wire to use or how many turns to use unless you have settled the other issues. For a given magnet set up and blade size there is no virtue in changing turns, wire size or winding multiple strands in hand to alter an existing design.

I believe many are convinced that turns and wire size are the only things to consider.

I will stop at this point until you have got your book. When you get your book, read it through and some of this will be answered. Come back and ask the questions that you still can't follow.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:35:47 AM by Flux »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:40:38 AM »
i don't want to spoil the ending of the book for you

but the magnets are the same size as the hole in the center of the coil

the wire on ends of the coil is necessary but is not productive.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:40:38 AM by electrondady1 »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36:05 AM »
electrondady:  I don't want to start an argument... but I would say 'not necessarily' to both of your statements ;-)

there are compromises to be made, if the magnets are large, or very close together (which has its own set of pros and cons) then the hole in the coil maybe smaller and there is often some advantage to that.  

I used to think that wire running parallel to the path of the magnets (the tops and bottoms of the coils, not the legs) was not productive and I was definitely wrong in thinking that... now I believe it's 'less productive' but there is still a lot of EMF induced in all the wire within the coils.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:36:05 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

bluehunter40

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »
Thanks man, I am stalking the mailbox now.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:55:31 AM by bluehunter40 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:25:56 AM »
I agree Dan , this can be tested with any axial alt just by inserting  a coil into a moving pair of rotors (carefully), i've seen it on the scope many times ,even before the coil gets between the rotors , a voltage is produced , induced.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:25:56 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)