Author Topic: PM dc motor sources  (Read 4137 times)

kd5und

PM dc motor sources
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
is there a source other that treadmills for pm dc motors??

thanks

Travis
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:19:23 PM by (unknown) »

CmeBREW

Re: PM dc motor sources
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
Hi,

I have got good DC motors and AC servos on Ebay as long as you know what motor 'ratings' numbers to look for-- and when they are low price.

If its for a small windmill project to get started with something like an Ametek (which does a REAL 100Watts in a big wind), I would go with a decent size AC (3-phase) Servo motor (no brushes to ever change) like

this one I found in seconds:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitsubishi-Servo-Motor-HC-SFS102B_W0QQitemZ220483018536QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def
aultDomain_0?hash=item3355cfdf28&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

12v cut-in around 220-240rpm , would be a good 'starter' 5 foot diameter mill I think. Just need to make sure they don't have a brake on the back.  This one above looks like it is only the encoder on the back which is not a problem.

See nice ones go by often for under 50 bucks. Of course, its always somewhat of a risk with a used motor.

-Sorry if not what you had in mind. Just trying to help.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:33:40 PM by CmeBREW »

kd5und

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »
thanks

what i was looking for was something more along the lines of something that i can find in the junck or scrap yard like tread mills.  for all i know i may be looking past a goldmine and not even know it.  so if anyone knows what other types of appliances that have similar types of motors that would be great..!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:29:23 PM by kd5und »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:52:25 AM »
Look for items with a variable speed, such as a treadmill has.

Not 2 or 3 speed, but variable speed.

The item does not necessarily need to have a brushed DC motor to be useful.

I have a big 3-phase PM motor came out of a single phase input industrial sewing machine.

It is similar to a regular AC servo motor.

I would post the photo, but my files are apparently missing.  :(

"Ugly30", if you can find it.

The Harbor Freight Mini-Lathe is variable speed, and has a brushed DC motor that I think would be useful as a small generator.

Look for the speed control knob, and you might find something good.

G-

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:52:25 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
hey guys good to be back up. try looking for ecm motors from high end ac units. its the motor that runs the blower fan in the house. I have gotten 5 so far. they come in  1/3, 1/2,3/4, and 1 hp ratings. they are very simply to convert. they are a pm motor. all you have to do is cut the star wiring and install full wave bridges in them. there are lots of people here who have used them to get started and the master builders know all the tricks and are very very helpful in getting you going.

good luck and good wind

divemaster1963

P.s. check with a local ac parts dealer. they get them in under warrenty. it takes  about a month for them to get auth. to trash them. keep in touch with them.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:00:27 PM by divemaster1963 »